What is a good guard dog for chickens?

I could take you for a tour around my area where LGD's you advocate are used to guard poultry and penned livestock. The LGD's are generally poorly suited for tight confines. They need acreage to be consistent and then need time and a little work to get them safe around smaller stock like chickens. It is not just a breed issue.
I didn't advocate the confinement at all. Definitely not suited for kennel life but what dog is?

My Maremma was raised with miniature horses as a puppy. Then here with standard horses and chickens. He is free on my property that not fenced in. He will not wander. Now he is in charge along with Bindi my Aussie/Golden Retriver to protect my Horses, chickens, Ducks and Goats.
Definitely thought and quality of life of the dog needs to be evaluated. :thumbsup

I didn't advocate the confinement at all. Definitely not suited for kennel life but what dog is?
No, I also do not believe in keeping dogs confined in pens. I can't stand it when I see that. My dogs are primarily inside with their people and they have acreage to run on and a smaller fenced area. I only mentioned that I have a pen right beside the coop within a different fenced area that could be used for a chicken guard dog and wondered if there were suggestions. I am officially dropping the whole subject.

No, I also do not believe in keeping dogs confined in pens. I can't stand it when I see that. My dogs are primarily inside with their people and they have acreage to run on and a smaller fenced area. I only mentioned that I have a pen right beside the coop within a different fenced area that could be used for a chicken guard dog and wondered if there were suggestions. I am officially dropping the whole subject.
Okay...Well I wish you luck with how ever you decide to go..:highfive:

Well, I live in the uk, where our worst predators are badgers and foxes, who can dig down, assuming your pen is covered with aviary net. No problem since we got some guineafowl. They scream the place down if they see anything they don't like the look of, and this applies all night. I am not sure whether they sleep with one eye open. They will follow a predator so you can tell exactly where it is. No casualties since we got them.

Back
Top Bottom