1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is a good incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TaraBellaBirds, Oct 9, 2013.

1. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I have never incubated before. I can tell by threads that it is a difficult and can be a stressful process. I want a good affordable incubator that will take most of the "is the temp/humidity right? How often do I turn?" questions away LOl! I've looked at several different incubators and found one I like. So what do the experts think? Will this model take care of my needs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Fully-Au...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=111184388473&

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. tankboss

tankboss Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    I read an article where someone put for eggs in a plastic container, the plastic container in a bowl with some water, and fixed a lamp above the set-up. The person claimed that one of the four eggs hatched. I'd say research DIY incubators. I personally bought a turner for 60 bucks but I wasn't willing to pay 130 bucks for a styrofoam box with a few cheap components attached to it. Plus, there is nothing easier to work with than styrofoam and duct tape. Just sharing my two cents.... I have yet to hatch anything but I do have a dozen button quail eggs in lockdown so we'll see what my two cents is worth soon. haha

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

it looks good..except that who in the world makes it? I haven't ever seen that kind/model before.

It not being a known would make be panic about reliability.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Looks to be a Janoel incubator. Tag is on the unit as pictured.

5. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I am still shopping around, and would like to find one used. What kind of incubator do you use Alaskan, and Fred's Hens? Like I said I need something that I can rely on and know that the eggs are in the best environment possible. This is likely to become much more than a hobby for me, I adore my birds and want the best (at a reasonable price LOL)!

I am not sure about a DIY. I am sure it would not be that difficult to build a warm box and add a thermometer, but what about humidity levels and controls. I would be a nervous wreck for every hatch LOL. I am willing to make the investment for something that I will use for years to come.

6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

My incubator....uh......I don't like it.....and this last spring was the last straw....

I have been reading and reading and reading up on incubators

I am thinking that when I incubate this next spring, I am gonna go all nutty and buy the large model from Brinsea. Super expensive I know, I want the better model where I can punch in the exact temperature I want, NEVER a "turn the screw to adjust the temperature" again. I will not spend the money for the humidity attachment though.

7. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

There is a saying with car lovers, "Cheap, fast reliable...pick any two" You will never buy one with all three. I put incubators in a similar category.

Depends what you intend to use it for, and how often will vary 'what is the best'

Personally, I had a Hovabator which I fan modified and works ok for a 'once a year' use. I wanted more features and more capacity so I made my own from different idea on the net based of kits from incubatorwarehouse.com. I now use the Hovabator as a hatcher.

IMO, Really depends what you plan to do with it, and how bad you fall for the addiction of hatching!

I feel, if you intend on packing it a few times a year with some expensive eggs, then best to pay a bit more and get a quality unit or make a quality unit. You can always put a few more in there and sell the chicks to gain a bit of money back.

OR

If you are putting free or cheap eggs in for an annual hatch, a cheaper smaller unit should suffice. May not yield the best result every time but you should not loose $150 worth of rare breed eggs.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by