what is a good inubator plan on buying one

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sager:)silkies, Oct 29, 2011.

1. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    Kkkk pllzz help need good ideas

2. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    HovaBator. Nothing else. Period.

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I love my Brinsea Eco.

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

soo far i have had 100% hatches with something simalar to the Exo Terra Reptile Incubator. its an off brand. its red. found it on ebay for 100 bucks. was being sold as a heating/cooling mini dorm fridge. stays at a constant temp. u can buy an egg turner for it. same egg turner ud get for the exo terra bator. i use a LG at a hatcher. soo far, since using the red bator, i have had 100% hatches. i can fit up to 40 bantam eggs in it. or 25-30 large eggs in it.

5. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    I'm sure everyone would recommend to go bigger than you think, and make sure you are buying for quality and ease and not novelty or "cutesie," as I did. I've been lucky enough to have decent hatches with my R-Com Digital 3-egg Mini, but I wouldn't recommend it at all. Number one, it's small, number two, there's no way to bump your humidity at lockdown. I loved my first few hatches in the summer, when the outside humidity was already at 70%, but it took work this last time, as this is the latest in the year I've ever hatched, so our natural Florida humidity wasn't as high as it is in the summer. I had to do a lot of misting with a hot water bottle late into the night, then go to sleep with my fingers crossed!

Definitely following this thread. I'm selling my "novelty incubator" and heading for the big leagues next spring. It makes a heck of a lot more sense to spend $100 on a fine incubator rather than being suckered into spending twice as much on something that holds three eggs and comes with a "candling microscope"...and I use that term extremely loosely. Lol

Good luck!

6. clarkston_mike

clarkston_mike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    clarkston
    Brinsea20 advanced with the seperate tank for humidity

7. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    As far as a store bought incubator, I would recomend the Hovabator any of them are good, I use the 1602n & also added a PC fan & turner, mine is way older than the newer mod. the new mod. are kinda rounded on the outside edges with the thermostat mounted in the corner, my old hovabator has the thermostat mounted in the center & is square not rounded on the edeges, I would say its about 18-20 years old & still running like a new one, but as with any bator you want to keep it in a stable temp. room, but yea the hovabator is a good one. here is my older mod. up & cooking now, the 1602n with the turner is on ebay now for $71. good luck.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It kind of depends on how many eggs you want to hatch and how much you want to spend. I have LG, Hova-Bators but my favorite is my GQF Sportsman cabinet incubator. I have never used a Brinsea but the many people I know of that have them like them.

9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Hova! 1588 or 2362N, both come with fans. [​IMG]

10. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I have the havobator genisis 1588 and love it!
    Very easy to use, good viewing, all around great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by