What is a good poison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stand corrected! The literature I've ever read said it was a mammalian disease. Good to know!

Rabies:

All warm blooded animals, including birds are susceptible to rabies virus. Avian infections are rare, but have been reported in chickens, waterfowl and raptors. A passive hemagglutination test in wild birds was seropositive in 23.1% of 65 predatory birds and 2.9% of 278 non-predatory birds.

While no case has yet been documented of avian to human transmission of the rabies virus, pre-exposure rabies prophylaxis and preventing trauma while handling raptors is recommended.

Feed%20In%20Eggs%20Out.JPG

I decided to construct something like this backing up to my bedroom window for my chickens. I will make it myself with doors backing up to my windows so i can reach in from my bedroom window and grab the eggs
lol.png

After thinking more, I think it is the ducks I really want to be able to walk around at liberty. So I will have to give their housing some more thought.

Well I Love My Chickens and Will Protect them at all costs!!! But Saying is one thing, so even if the Head Of Animal Patrol Is reading what Iam typing, they cant do anything, o and Hi if your reading
frow.gif
. But so far there hasnt been to much of a prob except me EE roo just disapering along time ago.

Last edited:
Quote:
Heh...I mentioned this to my teenage son, and now he pees around the chicken pen every night when he goes out to put them in the coop.
roll.png

From what I've heard: Furadan will kill everything. If another animal takes a bite of an animal that died from the Furadan, it too will die in a matter of seconds (domino effect). So dead animals have to be buried/burned to keep other non target animals from eating it and dying. This stuff is hard to get, and is a spray used to control aphids in alfalfa fields. If you find some, be very careful with it, I dont think its supposed to be used in bait to kill animals. Check the laws on using it and follow them.

Last edited:
Heh...I mentioned this to my teenage son, and now he pees around the chicken pen every night when he goes out to put them in the coop.

LOL! Good for him! It really does work.​

Quote:
How dare you try to tell me how to handle my environment. You let those "innocent" creatures eat your pets if you want to and I will do what I see fit. As far as the poor creature who "may not even have noticed my birds"...yesterday I had not even carried them outside yet and the fox was already sneaking up us in broad daylight. I do not want the disease infested foxes or possums anywhere near me. They probably have rabies. If we eat eggs produced by a hen who is infected with rabies..... guess who will get sick. If we eat a chicken infested, we have epidemic afoot.

I wish I could let you have them since you like them so much.
big_smile.png

gig.gif
lau.gif
Oh yes, we sure wouldn't want to eat eggs from rabies infected chickens!!!!
gig.gif
lau.gif

I'll dare whatever I want. anyone who talks about poisoning on general principals has no business, in my opinion, having livestock. And, guess what...that's what poultry are...livestock. It isn't any worse to let your chickens freerange and possibly get killed by a predator then it is for many people to let other animals get hit on the road or wander onto their neighbor's property to get shot or poisoned by people who have no problem with doing that type of thing. Chickens started out as wild animals and they have many instincts and skills, called "survival instincts". I would rather have one of my birds be killed by a predator, especially an older or sick bird, and know that maybe it saved another creature's life, then have it die a slow agonizing death from one of the billion bird diseases that float around. Just wait til you have to watch that and have to blame yourself a thousand times, as I have, because you watched them suffer and weren't able to save them. Dont YOU dare criticize me and my family for not caring about my birds...there are many people on here who know how many agonizing hours, days, weeks, and dollars I have spent on an occasional sick bird over the past few years, and how much heartbreak was involved. Take your birds to some avian vet, as I have, and see how much you pay out the kazoo and then have them tell you...well, sorry. Sorry, I want my grandchildren to grow up and enjoy nature and all types of animals and wildlife, just like I did. We have enjoyed watching wildlife on our farm here and I feel part of having livestock is educating yourself on how to protect it best, not just killing everything else that moves, that has a right to be on this earth, too. And it is illegal in pretty much every state I know of to just randomly distribute poison. Have the GUTS to learn how to shoot accurately and kill quickly and legally, if you insist on killing things. See how you feel then.;

This is getting emotional.

People have diffrent ways of solving problems, I personally don't see the diffrence of setting a conibear trap or a snare, and using poison. Other than personal opinion.

What ever gets into any of the three is dead, be that your dog, the neighbors cat, or the coyotes and coons that plague us.

I can understand wanting to keep the birds safe, but what a sad empty world we would live in if we exterminated every animal species that could harm our chickens. I for one moved out to the country to be closer to nature, not wipe it out. Maybe if there was a particular nuisance animal that had lost it's natural fear of people and was repeatedly decimating my flock I would gun for it, or a feral/introduced species maybe.

I let my birds free range when I'm home, and when I'm home I'm out working in the yard. Been doing it for a year now with no losses. Even if i did lose say....30% per year freeranging then I would concider that acceptable losses. The birds will live three years on average, would have a pretty darn good life (for a chicken), and I get the best egg laying years out of them. I think it's fair.

IF I only had a few PET CHICKENS then I would only let them out when I could watch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom