What is a good price on Silkies from a breeder?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Redhead Hen, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I know a breeder a few counties over from me and she is selling Silkie chicks for $15 a chick. She also shows them and the price she quoted me is for pet quality. Does this sound right? I don't need a lot of them, maybe 2. And her price is cheaper than ordering a min of 6 or more from a hatchery.

What do you all think?

2. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I would also like to know the answer. I am interested in some Pet Quality Silkies

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have bought SQ chicks from a top breeder for $15 and she sells her boo boo babies or pet quality for $4 each. Then her prices go up as the chick gets older.

4. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Thank You!

5. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I bought 4 pet-quality Silkies for $3 each. They are my loves! Sooo cute!

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

$15 per chick for pet quality? Thats too much.

7. nnpack

nnpack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for the Head's Up on pricing of silkies. I am wanting a silkie or two myself and don't even pretend to know where to start!!

8. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Thanks everyone. I was on the fence about the pricing. Anyone know where I could get silkies in MD?

ETA - or near MD?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  9. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I am in MD, Eastern Shore, but I don't sell chicks. They have to be 6-7 months old before I can tell their quality & prices. And sex. I sell my pet quality for $5-$10 each. My very best SQ birds may be as high as $75-$100 each. I have some of the best bloodlines out there. Buff, Splash, possibly Lavenders. -Stephanie

10. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Do you have any swaps scheduled for somewhere in your area or not too far away? I would say that would be your best chance to get them for a good price. I just bought two I'm guessing 8-10 weeks old for $3.00 each from a swap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by