What is a good rooster/hen ration?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by saranbensmom, Sep 1, 2008.

1. saranbensmom

saranbensmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    I am purchasing eggs for hatching. Some have 1 roo to 3 hens (which I know is good) and some have up to 7 or 8 hens to a roo. Is this o.k.?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    One rooster for every 10 hens or the hens get overmated and lose feathers on their back end and on their back [​IMG]

3. saranbensmom

saranbensmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Thank you! But, my concern right now is fertility.....will the eggs from so many hens and one roo have a good fertility rate?

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have one roo for every fifteen hens.
    He is happy and the hens aren't all beat up. It seems the eggs are fertile. When I put the bators in the class rooms at the local schools, I average about 85% hatch rate. That is if the kids don't keep opening the bator or mess with the temperture. Then all bets are off. In one class room The hatch rate has been over 90% for the last three years. The teacher tapes the vator closed and won't let the kids touch the bator.

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I would not want to have fewer than 6 hens/rooster. I think they can cover 10-12 hens with no problem,but remember there are times that rooster frtility suffer,just as hen fertility. I think you can get away with having more roos if you free range.

6. sticks22

sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    I have 10 hens and 2 roosters.

7. spaka74

spaka74 Out Of The Brooder

i currently have, a baby silkie hen,
    a big silkie rooster,
    two, unknown breed hens,
    1 rock island hen (shes top of the pecking order)
    and 1 silkie cross something(which i think is a rooster),
    and they cope fine even when confined to a tiny run, though they go free range sometimes....
    like 4 times a week, and they cope well....
    so dont worry about the hen rooster ratio, my hens are all high in feathers and all arguements occur at food, nowhere else, and these arguements are incredibly minor.....
    just a quick angry peck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by