What is a good size for a duck house?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BackyardAnimalsDucks, Oct 20, 2019.

1. So i've been shopping for dog houses to use as a duck house. I found one for $130. Its wooden too. It is 44''Lx22''Wx19''H. Is that a good size for two ducks and a nesting area, resting area and possibly a food area? I do expect to expand soon with more ducks. I will also have a run.

jeepgirl13 and Mybackyardpeepers like this.
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Seems kind of small...especially if you plan on expanding.
    Is it easily accessible for cleaning?

DucksOhio and jeepgirl13 like this.
  3. nah

jeepgirl13 likes this.
  4. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I would have to measure the one I just finished for my 3 ducks. I think building your own would be cheaper possibly and you can make it the size you want.

DucksOhio, Duckfarmer1 and jeepgirl13 like this.
  5. ok

jeepgirl13 likes this.
  6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Often a brooding duck likes a quiet space.

As a result, especially since you are in a mild climate.... I would suggest a covered spot for food (like a small table like thing), one area that has shade and protection from rain (but that can be a bit of roofing on the run, or a bigger table, or similar, or even a big beach umbrella), and then a separate dog house/ box type area for the nest.

All of the above of course within a predator proof, well fenced, pen.

7. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    4 to 6 sqft per duck I think is good for a house. The real question you need to ask yourself is do you want to crawl into a dog house every morning to collect eggs!

DucksOhio, lomine, jeepgirl13 and 4 others like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

Best to be able to walk into your duck house for cleaning an egg gathering. Also some inexpensive vinyl to cover the floor for protection of the wood.

9. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    if thats what you can afford for now and only have 2 ducks theyll be snug as bugs for this winter

if ducks are a hobby you love then its worth using a cheap coop for this year and saving up for a walk in coop next year. doesnt have to be fancy, a homedepot 8x8 shed would be perfect

i built a 10x10 and still wish i whent bigger for 6 ducks

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

A dog house is fine for sleeping in but not for food and water too. Easily cleaned with a rake and shovel also. Ducks don't require nest boxes either. :frow You need a secure pen though around the dog house. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: