1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is a good starter bantam show chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 2seth2, Nov 6, 2011.

1. 2seth2

2seth2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    I am new in chicken showing and was wonder what some good bantum show breeds are. I can have six bantums and now crowing fowl. The breeds I have looked at are bramhas, silkies, and polish(all bantum). Also what is easier to have 6 chickens or 6 call ducks. Thank you for helping!

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:The chcikens are probably easier to keep, the ducks tend to bit a messy. However in show prep the ducks are probably the easier ones.

If you are looking for short term success in showing I would sugest the Brahma, there is some very stiff competition in sikies, few real good quality polish. Brahma are often easily found in good quality without spending a small fortune.
    Good call ducks will be much more expensive to start with as good show birds will cost more than good showable Brahma.

Just my thoughts and experiences from this area of teh country.

3. 2seth2

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    would a belgian bearded D'uccle be a better option because they are uncommen in my area? (2 others)

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:A good D'uccle, or D'anver either way. I would lean more toward D'anver (less trouble with leg and foot feathering to keep in condition)

5. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    What do you like in a bantam? Since you're the one who has to look at them, feed them and care for them day after day after day - get what you like. I learned that a long time ago when I was showing dogs. I was never as happy getting what would show well as I was with the animals I chose because I liked them. The judge sees them once. You live with them.

(one that note, I like your choice of the D'uccle. Mine are about the prettiest, sweetest (although, not the brightest) chickens I have. We will require pictures of your show bird, too!) lol

Best wishes for a fun and successful show career!

6. 2seth2

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    thankS. The chicken that I posted are the Prettiest chickens I have seen so far. The only thing they have to be is showable and friendly. I'm new what is a D'anver.[​IMG]

7. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    I would recommend a modern game bantam, very social, ppl friendly, hardy, and easily kept clean.

8. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    For a unique bantam breeds, how about a Bantam Phoenix? They are beautiful and not very common from what I've seen. Bantam Ameracaunas are nice too, Bantam Wyandottes...?? There are so many to choose from. I like the D'Uccles as well.

9. 2seth2

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    I thought about bantum amercauns , but i have never seen one in person. I could have a modern game as a starter, but there are alot where I live.

10. chews chooks

chews chooks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    what about serama's ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by