What is a good temp for putting our baby BOS outside?

knblewis

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2016
Berks county PA
We have 13 4 week old baby buff Orpingtons. We were wondering what a good temp in the coop outside would be to keep them safe. We are in the middle of winter right now and our temps are getting into the twenties and teens at night but the coop stays around 4245 degrees with the heat lamp in it. So we were wondering if that is warm enough and good enough to put our babies out in the coop yet?

Try taking them out for the day and see how they react. Let them run around the coop and play, and if they don't immediately huddle in a pile for warmth, then they're probably ready.

For these purposes of transporting chicks outside for field trips, I use a pet carrier. Leave the carrier with the door open in the coop. It will take a minute or so for them to come out. When they chill, they will likely go back inside the carrier for warmth, then you just bring them back in to the brooder.

If they don't react to the cool air, but they seem comfortable and enjoying themselves, then rig the heat source in a corner and welcome them to their new home.

Thank you very much we will try that and I'm sure the chicks will enjoy the field trips. I am also sure we will enjoy them to watching them play in the new coop.

they don't need a big change in temp from what they are currently kept at, if you are keeping them at say 70° (you followed the 5° per week drop after hatch) then a sudden exposure to 40° can be quiet hard on them at 4 weeks old.

OK thank you for letting us know that we are going to put the other heat lamp inside the coop and see if that brings the temperature up.

Back
Top Bottom