What is a large egg?

As @aart says, the USDA has a chart for such things - and its based on the weight of a dozen eggs, not each egg singly (though I suspect commercial egg production scales eggs individually during inspection, since we consumers put value on uniformity). You should look into your local and state laws before making representations about egg sizes, EVEN IF TRUE. Here in FL, for instance, a Lmt Egg and Poultry License allows me to sell shell eggs and processed birds for human consumption, but I can't sell them in cartons, and I have to prominently display a sign, substantially "These eggs have not been USDA graded for size or quality". This is one of those situations where State and Federal lawmakers have decided truth is no defense, and the cost of fighting reasonably exceeds profits of sale by many, many orders of magnitude.

I don't recall ever looking at MN's laws specifically, can't offer keywords to search statutes on, besides the usual chicken poultry shell egg. Sorry.
I don't make any representation of size. Rules in MN are pretty lenient for direct sales. Sales are to friends and coworkers not farmers markets or restaurants, so as long as I have under 3000 birds, there's not much I need to do.
Screenshot_20210403-092955_Drive.jpg

MN appears VERY reasonable in this respect. Color me a little green.
Yet we can't buy a car on Sunday, and we just finally got Sunday liquor sales.

MN has a history of being a farming state. Milk and meat sales are a little stricter, but still not horrible.

"blue laws" are a whole 'nother subject. They are still on the books, and eagerly enforced here in the armpit of FL where I reside. When I lived in Central FL, we used to joke that it was the only State in the Union where you drove north to reach the "Deep South", but I'm in the Wiregrass area of the Panhandle - its its own little universe, blending N FL, Southern Alabama, and SW Georgia. Very low population (humans), plenty of livestock and farmland. Cows, Grapes, Chickens, Hay mostly.

/edit Don't get me wrong, we had our choice of where to live, and chose here. No place we'd rather be. No intention of moving until they make me into ash and scatter me on the ground - but not in agreement with some of the more archaic legislation and attitudes that pervade the region, either. You take the sour with the sweet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom