What is a large egg?

MissE

Crowing
Oct 17, 2020
Northern MN
It has been a long time since I've had to buy eggs in the store, so I really don't remember what size a "large" egg is.

I was packaging some eggs to give away. Generally I use the plastic cartons, but these were for some out of town friends, so I used cardboard cartons since I don't expect to get them back. I've never weighed my eggs, but saw on the carton label that a large egg is 50 grams, so I decided to weigh mine.

My average size eggs are 70+ grams. The little bitty Speckled Sussex eggs that I normally keep for myself and don't sell because they are so small are 48-52 grams! What?

I have one Rudd Ranger hen who always lays eggs that are huge. It's rare for one of hers to fit in a carton. I weighed the 4 she laid this week, and they were 90 to 103 grams. Then one of my Sapphire Gem girls laid a goofy wrinkled monster that was 111 grams, and a Calico Princess gave one that was over 100 grams this week too.

20210402_071131.jpg

Calico Princess 107 grams, Sapphire Gem 70 grams, Speckled Sussex 48 grams.
20210402_071048.jpg
20210402_071028.jpg
20210402_070941.jpg

Sapphire Gem weird egg
20210402_070953.jpg

Rudd Ranger. All her eggs are this size.
20210402_070812.jpg

Calico Princess. Unusually large for her.
20210331_150801.jpg

Largest egg in the carton is 90 grams. Can barely close the lid with the big one in there.

I bought a digital kitchen scale for weighing eggs ($20). Most of the eggs I get are medium; occasionally I get a large.

I always bought jumbo at the store. One week they were out and I bought large. My husband referred to them as "quail eggs."

Ha ha, honey... wait until we have our own eggs. The only extra large was a double yolker from a new layer just getting her gear in gear. :gig

Size in grams:
Peewee 35
Small 43
Medium 50
Large 57
Extra Large 64
Jumbo 71

Nice eggs. It is interesting to see the variation.

in my local grocery, they sell med, large, XL, and Jumbo eggs. However, they do not always have the jumbo eggs. If they have jumbo eggs and I need eggs, it is fun to buy them for their size!

I use this USDA chart:
full

Another pic in that album shows how I deal with varying egg sizes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/eggs.7427742/
Thanks! No wonder I can't keep up on egg sales. My "average " eggs are jumbo size. The smallest I will put in a carton is still an extra large, and my ISAs and Calico Princess are usually around 80 grams.

Pretty eggs in your picture. Maybe I should double the size of my new coop so I can add some blue or green layers, too. Damn chicken math.

As @aart says, the USDA has a chart for such things - and its based on the weight of a dozen eggs, not each egg singly (though I suspect commercial egg production scales eggs individually during inspection, since we consumers put value on uniformity). You should look into your local and state laws before making representations about egg sizes, EVEN IF TRUE. Here in FL, for instance, a Lmt Egg and Poultry License allows me to sell shell eggs and processed birds for human consumption, but I can't sell them in cartons, and I have to prominently display a sign, substantially "These eggs have not been USDA graded for size or quality". This is one of those situations where State and Federal lawmakers have decided truth is no defense, and the cost of fighting reasonably exceeds profits of sale by many, many orders of magnitude.

I don't recall ever looking at MN's laws specifically, can't offer keywords to search statutes on, besides the usual chicken poultry shell egg. Sorry.
I don't make any representation of size. Rules in MN are pretty lenient for direct sales. Sales are to friends and coworkers not farmers markets or restaurants, so as long as I have under 3000 birds, there's not much I need to do.
Screenshot_20210403-092955_Drive.jpg

"blue laws" are a whole 'nother subject. They are still on the books, and eagerly enforced here in the armpit of FL where I reside. When I lived in Central FL, we used to joke that it was the only State in the Union where you drove north to reach the "Deep South", but I'm in the Wiregrass area of the Panhandle - its its own little universe, blending N FL, Southern Alabama, and SW Georgia. Very low population (humans), plenty of livestock and farmland. Cows, Grapes, Chickens, Hay mostly.

/edit Don't get me wrong, we had our choice of where to live, and chose here. No place we'd rather be. No intention of moving until they make me into ash and scatter me on the ground - but not in agreement with some of the more archaic legislation and attitudes that pervade the region, either. You take the sour with the sweet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom