1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is a roundhead game chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yoie, Mar 25, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

On craigslist they are listed for sale in my area and just wondering what they are? Is is another term for a breed?

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    American game fowl is categorized into different strains/bloodlines so there is Hatch, Kelso, Albany, Sweater, Whitehackle, Claret, Roundhead, and Butcher and a few others I can imagen.

So the Roundhead Games are American Gamefowl from Roundhead bloodlines.

I bet the American Gamefowl experts can enlighten you more on the subject, i did research american games for a while but couldn't find any birds to buy up here so my knowledge is rather limited.

3. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    The Roundhead is an old breed of game chicken. It started in Boston in 1864 by John Harwood. A trio of game chickens came from England. Harwood aquired them and named them Roundhead because they had small round heads. These were light red with black breasts and had pea combs and yellow legs. 4 to 6 pounds. Many other breeds of Roundhead have been developed, such as Lacy or Allen. Many believe Roundheads to be superior to all other gamefowl.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  4. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks I was wondering why the chicks were so highly priced. They sound neat, to bad I have to many chicks as it is [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by