1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is a Sexlink?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sancharosa, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Sancharosa

Sancharosa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    My husband brought home a couple of chicks from the local feed store and was told they are Red Sexlink . What is a sexlink, I have tried to look it up but have found nothing. This may be a stupid question but we are new to this and are trying our best to learn all we can.

2. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
    A sex link is a cross that results in the chicks being different colors at the time of hatch according to sex. This is done for easy identification of pullets.

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Short answer is a determination can be made to the sex based on what color a chick is when hatched. Based on the combination, pullets would be one color and cockerells another. I'm sure someone will describe in further detail.

added: BTW..Red Sex-linked are often called Red Stars. I currently have three and they are my best layers.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  4. Sancharosa

Sancharosa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Thanks so much! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by