What is a "treat" to you?

Pics
Wow.
This post got really scientific and complicated, which, as a scientist, I appreciate... ❤️. Having a complicated scientific mind is likely the cause of my overthinking this to begin with. 😂

I believe I am feeding a really well balanced and nutritious feed to my flock. I am not worried about that. My chicks (first flock) are only about 7 weeks old, and honestly have only had small amounts of "treats" thus far - mostly just for "recall training." Nothing seems out of balance, and the girls are doing just fine.

Now that I have read through a variety of responses here, I guess what I would ask is this...

I intend to feed my veggie/greens/friut scraps to my chickens, but I would like to maintain balance as best I can, the majority of the time. Do you start with small servings, and work up to a whole cabbage (one example)? Or just go full in on a whole cabbage and see what happens?

I know if I ate a whole cabbage in one sitting, I would likely "not be in balance." 😂 So without much chicken experience thus far, I just dont know how to begin introducing "treats" without completely disrupting the balance.

Overthinking myself to the grave, and not apologizing for it, hahaha...
These youngsters were 8 weeks old on Friday. They have not eaten any commercial ('balanced') feed, ever. They eat unmeasured amounts of fermented whole grains, live mealworms, and things that you or I would recognize as food (rather than homogenized who-knows-what), including bread and milk, and what their broody has told them to eat from the ground, on plants, and in the air since 2 days old. Do they look poorly nourished to you?
P1110707.JPG

My 5 gals have had a total of 3-5 heads of small cabbage in their 16 month life. I only do this when i have to interrupt their free range and normal routines that can lead to stress. Preventing stress trumps the balanced diet for a day, in my opinion. The cabbage to me is a treat because their commerical feed and free ranging provides them with a balanced diet. Also, they dont gorge on the swinging cabbage. Their awesome little systems go back to normal after pooping blue for the day, lol (i use the purple cabbage). My hens are full adult hens now and through experience and time have learned what routines work best for me. i had to be very mindful not to over treat. For example, now, when its hot in new england, I will give each hen an ice cube with 1 berry frozen inside. If I were to offer my hens a handful of veggies or something I normally hide them around the run to stimulate them and keep them from fighting over the treats. (not when its hot though). Sals_Chics, all we can do is use our best judgement. If you visit BYC often, you will learn exactly who the true pros are and can easily get the information you need with certainty. I was a new chicken owner 16 months ago and can honestly say that my flock thrives because of the great people here on BYC answering all my many many questions. And I know exactly who to turn to for the real deal. At the end of the day, if your chickens have a good commercial feed and access to fresh water, they should do well. Good luck and may your flock thrive always! 🐔
💕

These youngsters were 8 weeks old on Friday. They have not eaten any commercial ('balanced') feed, ever. They eat unmeasured amounts of fermented whole grains, live mealworms, and things that you or I would recognize as food (rather than homogenized who-knows-what), including bread and milk, and what their broody has told them to eat from the ground, on plants, and in the air since 2 days old. Do they look poorly nourished to you?
View attachment 3214284
They look amazing and I love them <3

Back
Top Bottom