1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is an appropriate price for chickens?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by I_Heart_Chickens, Jun 21, 2008.

1. I_Heart_Chickens

I_Heart_Chickens New Egg

May 2, 2008
    I have many big healthy sex-link chicks that I have raised since they were one day old. I plan on selling several of them at 16 weeks old.

I have fed mainly organic feed and I have no idea what I should set as an asking price. 10.00? 15.00?

any suggestions would be very helpful.
    Thanks!

2. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    my local feed store sells the sex-links for $7.00 at 20 weeks. they go up a dollar as they get older, week by week. So my guess would be 4/5.00 at 16 weeks. hope this helps.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I think a lot depends on where you live and demand for them. Point of lay pullets here go for between $10-$20 per bird. Many folks will pay for not having to raise them up from chicks. [​IMG]

Jody

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It really does depend on your locale. The feedstore here sells pullets at point of lay for $20 each, sometimes more if the owner decides they are rare, LOL.

5. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    i just sold 16 week old pullets today for ten dollars

6. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    Quote:I've seen those rare leghorns your talking about. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Recently, she had a trio of Russian Orloffs and was asking $100 for the three. For a trio of Cochins, she wanted $50.

8. I_Heart_Chickens

I_Heart_Chickens New Egg

May 2, 2008
    Thanks for all the responses everyone!
    I think I will do $15 each or 3 for $40. I am sure they will sell for that price in my community. If not I can always lower the price some if I need to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by