1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is an EE?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by waggis, Oct 5, 2010.

1. waggis

waggis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    In the Bush, coastal NSW
    Ok I am a noob, so don't give me a hard time. I have seen this in a number of posts what does EE stand for?

thanks [​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    stands for Easter Egger, a type of chicken

3. Loco Ken

Loco Ken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Pacific NW
    .....and lays green or blue eggs, or a color variant of green or blue. Beautiful birds, too!

4. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Waggis when I first joined byc i wondered what a EE was too. So you aint no noob [​IMG]
    I presumed it was a hybrid of a araucana, is this true??

5. waggis

waggis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    In the Bush, coastal NSW
    Thanks everyone. [​IMG] We have one Araucana she lays blue-green eggs. We only got her on the weekend at an auction. I have never heard of an Easter Egger before, maybe they are more common in the US. I am in Australia. At least I know now!

6. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    I was wondering if they are only in America as I had never heard of them in Scotland!

7. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

They aren't called EE's in Australia. They are called mutts/hybrids.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Okay to clear things up here - For people outside America, an Easter Egger is what American hatcheries made while destroying the Ameraucana name in the process. [​IMG] It is basically a mutt who's parents, grandparents, or great grandparents was an Ameraucana. (and sometimes, but rarely, an Araucana)

For people inside America - It is a mutt bird who lays colored eggs and is sold by hatcheries, feedstores, or "breeders" who just get their stock from hatcheries. If any of the following sources sells you an Ameraucana - It's actually an Easter Egger. Ameraucanas must be bought from a reputable breeder who knows the difference. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by