What is attacking my ducks!?

contactmo

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 11, 2013
So I have 5 peekin ducks about 3 months old and 2 have been attacked. They are in a chain link fenced in area with a large pond that is 8-10 feet deep about 1/2 acre total.
Each attack has been during the day and the only damage done is to the feet. The first one happened about a week ago and all the webbing was sliced all the way through on each section of 1 foot, I found no other injuries. Today I come home to find another duck with his webbing sliced on 1 foot but what appears to be a bleeding injury to the upper thigh.
The first duck recovered but I don't know if the second one is going to make it.
I have a pair of wood ducks that have made a home in the pond would they attack the much larger peekin? Snapping turtle?

Last edited:
Your right it's a snapping turtle, please get your ducks off the pond till you can remove all the snappers or your going to have injured or killed and eaten ducks. I hope this injured one makes it

Last edited:
X2 on the above. You need to trap (humanely) and relocate the turtles to another large body of water (lake, river, pond) at least a few miles away, pref one without waterfowl!

That said, it is illegal to relocate snapping turtles in some states, so be sure to check local laws regarding.

Turtle trap: http://www.thepondguy.com/product/2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to go jug fishing with some gizzards! I'm sorry but snappers will not be getting any mercy from me.
I understand they are quite tasty in a big pot of soup. There is another BYC member who is right now treating her ducks foot that was attacked by a snapping turtle, it's been on going and not pleasant. Hope your duck is doing good today please keep us updated.

I'm really tired of all the turtle experts who claim snapping turtles do not attack ducks. I did some research last week and read several sites/posts from zoologists and other academics who insist they eat mostly aquatic vegetation and dead fish, and that the threat to waterfowl is a myth. Total BS. As we have seen on these forums, more ducks are mutilated and killed by snapping turtles than by raccoons or other notorious predators.

I agree that they are an important and ancient species, but do not feel guilty about protecting the ducks on your pond who do more for the ecosystem through mosquito and other dangerous pest control.

And, yes, I hear turtle soup is very tasty... there is a great recipe and how-to on this site if you choose that path ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh..snapping turtle recipes! which section? I've seen snapper females even attack lambs Colts and dogs as well as game fish and ducks as well as swan and geese (babies to adults drug under and drowned or just torn apart), on my neighbors farm ponds as well as lakes ect were "natural" food was ample available.

Snapper can get in through under over or fencing. babies go right through after hatching were been laid close to, then grow usually totally un noticed till fish and duck dinner time. bigger turtles can and do dig under and crawl over fencing. i don't hate snappers, just gotta get the readying to lay large females or pairs out that usually cause trouble. relocating doesn't work unless find better spot far away, as turtles actually have very good homing instincts. now must get stink bait ect and make sure next month through october to nov by me there are no bigguns in my pond before get ducklings out on it.

Last edited:
Mink can also attack from under water too dragging down to drown ect, just like snappers can, and grab from hole along bank, or attack from shoreline. I've only thankfully personally seen mink damage from others, and terrible. mink wouldn't be going for webbing like snapper would.

Back
Top Bottom