What is best diet?

beameuplord

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 8, 2007
I usually just feed my chicks cracked corn. My dad says that is all they need. He feeds them laying pellets too but mine would not eat them. I also give them some fruit, veggies and chick weed. but, should they have a mixture of feed/seed? I have read some recipes on line of a mixture of different grain, but I don't know if it is necessary for best health. I only have a few chicks and I can't buy small amounts of grain. I bought a 5 lb. bag of safflower seed to mix with corn and they won't even eat it.

any good ideas/

Thank, TJ

We add a little steamed rice not to soft on top of their dry feed they gobble it right up, it keeps their droppong solid and reduces the smell from regular chicken feed they also eat grass.

Last edited:
What about grit? My chicks (6 days old) ate some moths last night and I bought them some grit. I've read on here that people will leave a little tray of grit in with the chicks and they'll eat it when they need it, but my little guys are just snarfing it like there's no tomorrow. Can they eat too much of it? I took it away earlier but they just caught another moth (stupid moths, they should know better than to buzz around a lamp over 10 little birds!) so I put the tray back in. How much grit is too much, or will they regulate themselves?

Chicks do need grit. I read to mix a bit with the starter but they can get too much if you put too much in it. I think I read you should use it like pepper and salt. Just a good sprinkling on the starter.

Is chicken feed cracked corn, pellets or a mix? I'm dumb about this stuff. I did give mine some rice and they liked it. I made the mistake of giving them some macaroni and my hen staggered around for two days. I don't know if it fermented in her stomach and made her drunk or the salt made her BP too high or what. I won't do that again !

I also give them fresh greens, they love chick weed. I give them grapes, apple, banana and veggie peelings. I hope they are getting a balance.
TJ

They sound like they eat better than I do, LOL! If your chicks are happy and energetic, I'd bet they're eating plenty and doing well. They'll behave differently if they're sick. Technically all they need is the starter crumbles, but I think a few treats don't hurt at all and probably help!

Too much cracked corn will make them fat. They will need grit to process it. A chick starter provides them with all the protein and nutrients they need. If you feed only the chick starter they shouldn't need grit. If they are under 20 wks of age, layer pellets can hurt their kidneys from too much calcium since they are not producing eggs at this point. As with us....treats in moderation. Ok now where is my chocolate....(at least I don't have to share it with the chickies) hee hee.
cool.png

LOL, SunChick, you reminded me of the first advice I received when I asked a friend how to tell the pullets from the cockerels--put a beer in one end of the brooder and a Hershey's bar in the other. The boys go for the beer and the girls hit the chocolate!

I didn't try it. I share my chocolate for no one.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom