what is best for water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lindalue, Jun 24, 2011.

1. lindalue

lindalue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    so far I have been using mason jar waterer for in the coop and have to clean it 2 or3 times a day ...I was wondering if rabbit waterers work or will they leak and get the coop wet...and will they figure out how to use it?[​IMG]

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    My chicks are 11 wk. old and I have a hanging feeder & waterer in the coop. Easy to fill, no spills, no mess!! I just make sure they are hung low enough for the smallest chick to get at. [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's my set up.[​IMG]

4. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
  5. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    My hanging waterer has the nipples and it works great!! [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:I think I would try the nipples, I use them and our birds always have CLEAN water to drink. Yes they would learn the rabbit water jugs, but I think they would leak more than nipples.

7. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Rabbit Waterers might work but are not made for chickens and not be the best solution. I would recommend nipple waterers if you like that style or waterer cups if you want them to be able to drink from a small pool. I used nipples and they are fine but chickens seem to enjoy drinking from an open source much more so I give them what they want [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  8. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I've tried a bazillion different things, so far, my favorite is the dog waterer.

[​IMG]

I should add that I have not tried a nipple waterer, but I've heard good things about them. So far this has been the easiest solution for me.

9. lindalue

lindalue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Thanks so much for the ideas . after doing some looking around I think the nipples with the cups will do the trick. the coop is small.the run is good sized... and thanks for the pictures ..I am also going to make the wooden feeders I saw in the pictures..they stand on the feeder I have now...anything that makes less work.

10. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    We don't have a lot of birds, but one economic way is to take a 1 gallon milk jug and cut it in half but leave th end with the handles higher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by