What is better?

Which breed?

• Total voters
These are two of my favourite breeds!:confused:
I'd say Ameraucanas though
We actually had a black copper Marans rooster and hen, they were one of our first chickens! Sadly they were sold to us sick and passed away after only a week. The last day of the roosters life, he could barely even stand. I didn't get any pictures of them :hit
RIP Sarge and Hazel

I have both, I have one Ameraucana pullet and 2 French BCM’s one pullet and one Roo they are currently 10 weeks. They came from Alchemist’s Farm.

The Marans are much larger and fuller bodied then the Ameraucana and they are all gorgeous birds in their own right.

The biggest difference to me is personality. Both my Marans are just soild calm and steady. My Roo is mellow looks out for the girls but doesn’t over react either and is fine with my kids 3 and 5.

The Ameraucana is adorable with her fuzzy cheeks but… she is flighty with me and very spunky and tbh a bit of a bully with her flock mates. Think small but fiery. She takes no crap from anyone but gives it fairly often lol.

Overall, I prefer the Marans and would choose to breed them to replace any losses down the road.

I have both, I have one Ameraucana pullet and 2 French BCM’s one pullet and one Roo they are currently 10 weeks. They came from Alchemist’s Farm.

The Marans are much larger and fuller bodied then the Ameraucana and they are all gorgeous birds in their own right.

The biggest difference to me is personality. Both my Marans are just soild calm and steady. My Roo is mellow looks out for the girls but doesn’t over react either and is fine with my kids 3 and 5.

The Ameraucana is adorable with her fuzzy cheeks but… she is flighty with me and very spunky and tbh a bit of a bully with her flock mates. Think small but fiery. She takes no crap from anyone but gives it fairly often lol.

Overall, I prefer the Marans and would choose to breed them to replace any losses down the road.
I definitely like the niceness of the marans.....I like nice birds especially when it's a rooster.

I definitely like the niceness of the marans.....I like nice birds especially when it's a rooster.
Its a tough question to answer as we are all looking for different things. Plus birds are individuals sure they have breed traits but in the end you can’t guarantee anything 100% especially when it comes to personality.

If you want to hedge your bets, I would look at farms or breeders that care about not breeding ill tempered birds. Alchemists farms claims to be one of them and my experience with them seems to prove that to be true. I ended up with three Roos in total in my order of 13 chicks none of them are aggressive. One is more curious and forward then the other two but not aggressive with people or the other birds.

So, my advice is this … whatever breed you choose look for a hatchery/breeder that cares about what you find important in your flock. In the end your wallet could be lighter but you will be happier and so will your flock ;)

I am separating my current rooster ti a bantam pen with the other bantams and want to get a new....standard size....rooster for my hens....and me! I love roosters!!!! Our problem is deciding which breed to go with! We are between wheaten ameraucana and French black copper Marans, I have a FBCM already and if I get the ameraucana I would get a hen with him.
So what do I want in a rooster???
Friendly
Good to the hens
(I know those really depend of the individual)
And good breeding opportunity for selling hatching eggs.
Thanks!
I think both would be great! But if I were you I might just go with a Wheaten Ameraucana. Though black BCM are really nice! I used to have 7 of them!

Its a tough question to answer as we are all looking for different things. Plus birds are individuals sure they have breed traits but in the end you can’t guarantee anything 100% especially when it comes to personality.

If you want to hedge your bets, I would look at farms or breeders that care about not breeding ill tempered birds. Alchemists farms claims to be one of them and my experience with them seems to prove that to be true. I ended up with three Roos in total in my order of 13 chicks none of them are aggressive. One is more curious and forward then the other two but not aggressive with people or the other birds.

So, my advice is this … whatever breed you choose look for a hatchery/breeder that cares about what you find important in your flock. In the end your wallet could be lighter but you will be happier and so will your flock ;)
Thanks, I know it all really depends on the individual bird. I will definitely look very carefully into any hatcheries/breeders I'm thinking about
I think both would be great! But if I were you I might just go with a Wheaten Ameraucana. Though black BCM are really nice! I used to have 7 of them!
Thanks

I have not had BCM roosters, but I have heard from many that they are very calm roosters. I have had several BCM hens though and they are all very nice and calm birds, but not terribly friendly. I have had several Ameraucana boys a couple of hens and will concur that they can all be a bit flighty, but they are really friendly and mine get along with everyone. the hens can be a bit bossy, but the roosters are so friendly and gentle. I will say that in CA, Marans are still all the rage, but I think the color options from an Ameraucana is more appealing. :)

Back
Top Bottom