What is Boss????

NewHobbyForMe

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Missouri
I read on BYC that chickens like BOSS but what is it?? I am giving Layer Feed, Scratch, Sunflower Seeds. I use hay as bedding. Anything else besides left overs. It's soooo cold today, and I feel sorry for them.

I grew both gray stripe and black oil sunflower seeds this year for my chickens. They did not really care for the gray stripe. I let the wild birds eat most of them. I have read many posts on other threads that the gray stripe shells are difficult for them to digest. They really liked the black oil seeds. I would cut one or two heads every couple of days and place them in the run. The chickens went crazy for them. Luckily I grew lots of them. I will grow lots more this coming year. (Luckily I have lots of available space for my garden, currently 1/4 acre!)

I have been out of BOSS seeds that I grew since early November. My feed store had 50lb bags of BOSS on sale for 17.95. I bought a bag and have been feeding them about two cups every other day.

I find that when they are eating BOSS that their feathers are softer and more shiny.

I have used BOSS for my horses off and on for years. Especially when a horse's coat is looking shabby or the horse is having hoof issues. It really is like feeding biotin.

They also make tasty sprouts!
smile.png

Thank you all so much for the reply. I feel so silly asking, but even the girl at the feed store did not know what it was
lol.png
But, the good thing is that she did sell me BOSS, 25 pounds of it. Can't really see the chicken eating much of it but this morning I had 10 of the fattest squirrels you ever saw having a feast. I did notice that my 15 chickens are really wanting the scratch more than anything else, so I'm throwing it on the ground along with the boss. I keep their laying mash filled up at all times. Hope everyone is staying warm.

Back
Top Bottom