what is carton hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pefferlawchicken, Mar 9, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    what is carton hatching , is it whe the eggsare in a carton in the incubator and if so how do you turn them in the carton??? is this a good way to hatch chicks??

2. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    I was wondering this myself. I have never done any kind of hatching but I want to try and the carton sounds like you get a good hatch rate can't wait for respose and pictures if anyone was any.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I hatch all of my duck and chicken eggs in an egg carton. 3 days before they are due to hatch, I put the eggs into an egg carton with holes cut in the bottom, the move the carton to the incubator. I find that I get a better hatch rate, even with the call ducks, and the chicks/ducks have an easier time getting out. When you just lay the eggs on the incubator floor, once a chick/duck hatches, they will roll and bang around all of the other eggs. This causes the chicks/ducklings to have to readjust themselves in the egg, causing them to get exhausted quicker, sometimes even giving up on hatching

5. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I just did a batch (my first batch ever) and I used the carton. I had four little eggs, and they all hatched! I marked one side of each egg with an x or an o and turned each one three to four times a day. I also tilted the bator a little every so often. It worked for me but it could have been that it was just a few eggs ( I mean I didnt have turn twenty something eggs everyday like some people do)

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Twenty or forty (a flat carton) would work LOL! Worked for me pretty good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by