what is carton hatching

crzychicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
I was wondering this myself. I have never done any kind of hatching but I want to try and the carton sounds like you get a good hatch rate can't wait for respose and pictures if anyone was any.

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
I hatch all of my duck and chicken eggs in an egg carton. 3 days before they are due to hatch, I put the eggs into an egg carton with holes cut in the bottom, the move the carton to the incubator. I find that I get a better hatch rate, even with the call ducks, and the chicks/ducks have an easier time getting out. When you just lay the eggs on the incubator floor, once a chick/duck hatches, they will roll and bang around all of the other eggs. This causes the chicks/ducklings to have to readjust themselves in the egg, causing them to get exhausted quicker, sometimes even giving up on hatching

jbowyer01

Just Me!
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Hogansville, Georgia
I just did a batch (my first batch ever) and I used the carton. I had four little eggs, and they all hatched! I marked one side of each egg with an x or an o and turned each one three to four times a day. I also tilted the bator a little every so often. It worked for me but it could have been that it was just a few eggs ( I mean I didnt have turn twenty something eggs everyday like some people do)

Top Bottom