What is causing this? Wasn't sure whether to post in Predators or Egglaying

AuntieTamsBYC

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2017
I've had this a few times before. Is this a snake in the coop or something wrong with the hens? The inside of the egg looks to be in the hay. If it was a snake wouldn't the egg be gone?

Attachments

• 20400980_10155521678557856_954183672_n.jpg
    20400980_10155521678557856_954183672_n.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 7
:welcome It appears to be a soft shelled egg that broke and contents were eaten. Can be a result of low calcium, but this is less likely with a balanced commercial diet. Sometimes stressed, at the end of a laying cycle, or just starting a laying cycle hens lay soft shelled eggs. It's not a problem unless it continues.

Thanks for the advice. I thought maybe calcium but I feed them a pretty balanced diet with their feed and lots of veggie scraps from the kitchen. I haven't added egg shells in a while because I've been saving them for the garden. Or, I might have one that is at the end of her cycle as the production has gone from 6-7 a day (7 hens) to 5 or 6. Also, I have no idea how old one of them is as she was a stray added to the flock. I'd like to think that it's a nutrition thing rather than a creepy snake!

Any suggestions on other ways to add calcium?

Thanks for the advice. I thought maybe calcium but I feed them a pretty balanced diet with their feed and lots of veggie scraps from the kitchen. I haven't added egg shells in a while because I've been saving them for the garden. Or, I might have one that is at the end of her cycle as the production has gone from 6-7 a day (7 hens) to 5 or 6. Also, I have no idea how old one of them is as she was a stray added to the flock. I'd like to think that it's a nutrition thing rather than a creepy snake!

Any suggestions on other ways to add calcium?

Too many scraps can throw their diet out of balance. You want to make sure you provide no more than 10% of their diets with treats/scraps; the other 90% being of their staple starter, grower or layer feed, along with grit and oyster shells on the side.

Back
Top Bottom