What is "cold" for a chicken and prepping the coop

Please be very careful. I know two people that burned their coop down, and of course, killed all their birds, by using bulbs for heat.

Just something to keep in mind, the person is asking about temperatures around 30 harming chickens. I get temps literally 70 degrees colder than that and my chickens are very healthy.

The other big drawback I see to heating the coop is the possibility of the bulb burning out, the electricity going out, equipment failure, those types of things. My birds are well acclimated to the winter temperatures. If you have birds that are used to having supplemental heat, and that heat disappears for whatever reason, the birds are not acclimated to the cold temps. Best case scenario, they are miserable until you find out the light burned out. Worst case, they freeze to death due to the large and unexpected drop in temperatures before you find out.

So in our case, ventilation is tight at their heads. What do I do about that? With where their roost is, the windows are there too, all around.

If it's windy or breezy, what do we do?
it is a must to block off the wind and drafts,
I usr aheavy duty plastic sheeting, buy in construction department, its exyremely heavy.

In principle @ChicFil- A is correct that wind and drafts need to be managed but simply blocking with plastic or other ways is not a complete solution. It is an absolute MUST to have sufficient ventilation; the accepted minimum is one square foot per bird.

From what I see in your pictures you need to modify your coop with additional openings. These should be as high up as possible - in the fascias/soffits or in gable ends or along the roof peak are the usual areas.

While this may not be your preference there are no easy solutions and from your descriptions the location of windows will cause drafts that will not be healthy for your birds.

I suggest that you post pictures from the inside showing the three areas above. You may also want to post pictures of your existing windows with roosts showing. With these you will get creative and appropriate suggestions of where and how to make modifications.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I was trying to stay out of this, since the closest i usually get to winter is a a couple handfuls of days that might pass for "fall", occasionally strung in a row.
Actually, I LIKE that idea! I'm going to have to replace the windows in my coop... and I may just do that! Thanks for planting that idea!

Actually, I LIKE that idea! I'm going to have to replace the windows in my coop... and I may just do that! Thanks for planting that idea!
Just be aware that the most common way for windows to latch partway open (I'm not sure if your widows are designed this way or not) relies on gravity - so you may be in an entirely open/entirely closed situation.

Just be aware that the most common way for windows to latch partway open (I'm not sure if your widows are designed this way or not) relies on gravity - so you may be in an entirely open/entirely closed situation.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I have latches on the sides that lock in at different levels of opening, so we're good. No worry about the window falling and shattering.

Back
Top Bottom