1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is coming out of my duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by smileylife, Jul 11, 2016.

1. smileylife

smileylife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2016
    Mexico
    My duck always comes up to me and asks me to pet her, when I do she has this weird liquid come out I'm assuming it's her butt? What is it? And is it normal?

[​IMG]

2. gal5150

gal5150 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    How old is she? Is the liquid sticky/viscous like egg whites or like water? It's coming from her vent....which is where she poops, pees, and lays her eggs, all one spot.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If it's milky, it's - - - how do I put this delicately - - - it's normal. It is a fluid that appears when they are feeling romantic.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    3 people like this.
  4. smileylife

Jan 1, 2016
    Mexico
    She's 9 months old, and it's like egg whites. It looks kinda sticky, and it's kind of clearish white

5. smileylife

Jan 1, 2016
    Mexico
    Okay!! Phew, I thought something was wrong with her hahaha. Do most ducks do this?

6. Ghibli

Ghibli Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Does she act otherwise normal? No lethargy, eating and drinking, quacking, all that?
    When my girl was egg bound she dripped clear egg white textured liquid, but I really doubt that's it based on what you've said. It was pretty much constant, she wouldn't eat, she was avoiding being around the other ducks, staying kinda fluffed up, couldn't sleep, wouldn't chatter or quack.
    Just thought I'd make sure, I would guess Amiga is right here :)

7. gal5150

gal5150 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    Hopefully it's just normal randiness....but keep an eye on her bc what @amiga described was milky, not clear, egg white like which could be something more

8. smileylife

Jan 1, 2016
    Mexico
    She eats a lot actually! I have to limit her eating because she doesn't know when to stop. I don't have other ducks but I have dogs and she gets along well with them, and she quacks all the time. She only has that liquid come out when I pet her, so it's not all the time (she does ask me to pet her often though).

9. smileylife

Jan 1, 2016
    Mexico
    I'll try to take a better picture tomorrow, but it's normally sticky looking and it's clear but sometimes it's milky clear.

10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Does she squat down, flatten out a bit or put her head down when you pet her?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by