what is corn chop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tiki244, Mar 12, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I just wanted to know what corn chops is and how to feed to chickens. [​IMG]

2. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Corn chops is just that. Chopped corn or as often referred to as steel cut corn. It is cut into a crumble. I think in some areas it is called "cracked or crushed corn", but I can't be sure of that.
    It is simply fed as with any chick feed and can be mixed with their normal ration. However, a word of caution. I made a mistake and mixed it on a 1 to 1 ratio with my feed and caused a protein deficiency in my hens. Too much corn is not good. I paid a price to learn that.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    O wow that must be a thing they call it in the southern usa cause in the north it is called cracked corn [​IMG] Yeah I gave mine too much at one time and some got so fat they died. Learning the hard way on that one. So I would just put a small amt. in with my feed. [​IMG]

4. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Yes, a very small amount and only as a treat once in a while. You do know that they don't really need it since the feed has corn in it.

5. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Kris hey sorry I didn't get right back to you with the answer on corn chops. but looks like you have your answer now. James

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by