1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is DE? Do I need to deworm my chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paynemom, May 7, 2008.

1. paynemom

paynemom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    Robinson, TX
    My three oldest pullets are 16wks. Do I need to deworm them before they start laying? I haven't noticed any illness, but is it routine? I couldn't find any info on the learning center boards. Advice? I also have 3 11wk old chicks.

2. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    DE is diatomacious earth. It is made from crushed tiny fossils. You should only use food grade DE. The rest is poisonous. You can do a search for DE and it's uses. As far as your "teenager chickens" I wouldn't worm them without having a fecal test at your vet. Any vet knows how to do this. I never just give medication unless I am sure. Some people worm their flock once a year, others never. You can use the search on this site for Ivermec for worming. Good luck with your new flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by