What is DE used for

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crystal195655, Jan 13, 2012.

1. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    I know this topic has been done before, but exactly what uses is DE used for? I understand about the worms and mites....but someone also said it can be used to dry out the litter while doing the Deep Litter method? Do you also feed this to your chickens? At what age is it safe to start using it in the coop? All help will be appreciated, Thanks

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use it to dust the coop for bugs and mix it in with the feed for the same reason and to keep any would-be moisture at bay since my feeder holds 65# of feed.
    Edited for atrocious spelling

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: DE has never been proven to have any effect on internal parasites.
    The only proven uses are as an insecticide and a moisture absorbant

4. Bernard P. Fife

Bernard P. Fife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Alabama
    I've been wondering about DE and its uses as well. I have heard to only get the food-grade DE.

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Originally Posted by Bernard P. Fife [​IMG]

I have heard to only get the food-grade DE.

You are correct Barney!

6. Dutch552

Dutch552 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Hart County, KY
    It may either say food grade or CODEX gade, they are one in the same. I use it liberally in the coop to keep the litter dried out and keep the bugs away. Had a bug problem with the new coop at first, realized I wasn't using enogh DE in the litter and haven't seen a crawling bug since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by