What is double mating???

I have heard the term “double mating” but I do not know what it means.
Double Mating usually refers to using two breeding lines, one for pullets and for cockerels, this is IMHO exceedingly inefficient but accepted as with many Show Ring subjects.

Double Mating also may refer to the production of production type chickens, for example in the Broiler industry there are two lines(up to four lines in some cases), the Maternal lines which are focused on efficient egg production without affecting the terminal broiler chick too much(for example many if not all of the maternal broiler lines use sex-linked dwarf pullets to increase egg production per square meter of facilities) and a Terminal Sire line, which focuses in exceptional growth at any price. When these two lines are crossed you get the terminal broiler chicks.

It's used to good effect on birds with patterns. It would only be used if you wanted to maintain a cockerel and a pullet line.

Good quality of both sexes can be maintained with one line but usually smaller breeders just maintain a pullet line.

Barred birds would be easy to explain why double mating is advantageous. Males carry two copies of barring resulting in a pale looking bird as the black barring line is thin. These are the males you'd see in a pullet line- a line that expresses best color in pullets. These males couldn't compete in a show and are not quite to standard as the cock and hen should look similar.

As stated you can breed for both sexes looking to standard and achieve good results but nothing like you would breeding for pullets only or for cockerels only.

I think the concept of double mating is clear now. I'll just finish up the mating of barred males. A male line of barred is one that breeds for males with wider barring. This will make the bird look similar to the pullets. To achieve it the darkest females are bred. Continually doing this would create a cockerel line. Little chance of obtaining a good looking pullet from it, the line is bred only for high percentage of correct pattern cockerels.

What other patterns/colors need double breeding lines? I am new to chickens and considering several different breeds, but I don't want to have to deal with double (male and female) breeding lines.

Do Welsummers?
Do Salmon Favorelles?
Do Speckled Sussex?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom