What is double mating?

BantyChickMom

Songster
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Henderson, NC
Looking at hatchery sites, I've seen several breeds that say....."they require double mating for the production of quality males and females"
What exactly does this mean?

I haven't heard the term before, but I do know that in some colors, it takes a different roosters to make good pullets and cockerels.

For example, I have silver ameraucanas. I was informed to hatch good quality cockerels, I have to use a rooster that fits the standard of perfection on color to a "t". To hatch quality pullets, you need to use a rooster that was not quite right. I was told to use a rooster that had flecks of white in the breast area and white flecks in the muff and beard.

I could be wrong, but maybe that is what they are referring to.

A quick google confirms that, yes, as pips&peeps says, it is a term for when you maintain one set o' birds from which to breed exhibition-quality males, and a whole other set o' birds from which to breed exhibition-quality males. On account of the genetic basis for near-perfect males being somewhat in opposition to that needed for near-perfect females, sort of 'can't have your cake and eat it too'.

Which makes me personally think the Standards should oughta be rewritten with a slightly less eighteenth-century understanding of genetics and a healthy dose of realism.... but I don't show and never will so my opinion doesn't really count for much
wink.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom