WHAT IS DUCKY

I have been looking into getting ducks so I might not be the best resource but from what I understand when young its next to impossible to sex them.

As adults males have one or more feathers on top of their tail that curl. If you have a male the best ratio seems to be 1 male to 5 females to prevent the male from constantly harassing only one or two females. If its a female at least a trio but more the better.

I am totally new to ducks and this is what I have found in my research. I haven't gotten any yet. Hopefully someone with more duck experience will set me straight if this is incorrect.
Everything you said is correct. I couldn’t tell my khaki Campbell’s gender for a long time. Once they get feathered, it first looks like female markings until they gradually get the dark brown/green head and the male markings end a curl on the back of the tail. You’re right that Gender ratios are so important and so is the number of ducks as well.
To anyone else in the world who is thinking about owning ducks:
Having one duck is cruel to them socially, having 2 ducks is bare minimum humane, and 3 or more is best.
Honestly, I would always aim for at least 5 or 6 ducks in your flock. I’ve seen my flock having 3, 2, and 6 members.
When they’ve got several other ducks you can tell they’re much happier. Having a complex social group is what ducks would have naturally and I wouldn’t take that away from them. Especially raising a duckling alone is traumatic.
Human interaction cannot be a replacement for duck interaction!

I know I'm late to the game here, but when you DO figure out the gender (prob by a quack or lack there of) make sure you get a friend of similar size/age so it will be easier to integrate the 2. And dont just throw them together, let them meet eachother with a safe barrier between them for a few days.

Your Ducky is ADORABLE ❤❤❤
Ducky already quacks, are you trying to say that either ducks or hens one does not quack???? When the time comes for Ducky to have a friend, I assure you I will do it the right way. Ducky is pretty special. We have a good bond and good understanding of one another. I am that way with all my birds though so I am not surprised that Ducky has turned out to be as spectacular as he/she is. A fantastic underwater swimmer and awesome diver, loves to cuddle, fastest bug catcher in the south, and an all around wonderful sweetheart. Thank you .

Attachments

• DSCF9724.JPG
    DSCF9724.JPG
    411.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF9733.JPG
    DSCF9733.JPG
    454.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF9734.JPG
    DSCF9734.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 8
Ducky already quacks, are you trying to say that either ducks or hens one does not quack???? When the time comes for Ducky to have a friend, I assure you I will do it the right way. Ducky is pretty special. We have a good bond and good understanding of one another. I am that way with all my birds though so I am not surprised that Ducky has turned out to be as spectacular as he/she is. A fantastic underwater swimmer and awesome diver, loves to cuddle, fastest bug catcher in the south, and an all around wonderful sweetheart. Thank you .
What a cutie!! If you hear a distinct "quack" instead of the duckling "peep" then Ducky is a hen. Drakes dont get a quack. They make a raspy sound. That means you can get Ducky a female friend!! 😊

Oh wow. I did not know. Ducky's voice changed about a week ago. She had a peep/quack mix going on for about 4 days, then she let it rip and she can quack when she wants your attention. The rest of the time she just sort of peeps and murmurs to herself. DUCKY IS A GIRL. I HAVE A GIRL CIGARS FOR EVERYONE.:ya:wee I have a girl. I feel so happy. I will get her a guy when the time comes, but for right now we have fun together. We have a chase game and swim time and do lots of stuff together. I HAVE A GIRL:love

Actually, I would recommend a female duck to be friends with her rather than a male duck, unless you are planning on also getting several more females.

When the time is right, I am open to Ducky hatching a family. But for right now, she and I are gal pals. Not as fulfilling or ideal for both of us, but actually pretty great considering we are so different. I work hard at understanding her and she listens intently to understand me. We do have a good bond.
She knows to hop up on the console when I open her carrier in the car. Then I change her puppy pad to a clean one and once I am done she knows she can hop back down. She also knows she is not permitted to run around the back of the car puppy pad free. She is very smart.
We have a chase game we play in the yard because she has nobody but me to play with. I am with her during swim time and cheer her on when she dives underwater and swims underwater.
I help pick yard weed flowers when she finds one she likes so she can eat more, and I take them to her. She knows when her carrier is clean and it is time to go that she waits at my feet and I will pick her up and put her in. She comes and lays down on my blanket when we go to an outdoor natural water area where she can swim in a pond, lake or stream. She also hogs the blanket when I try to make her keep her butt on the grass. She hugs me by wrapping her neck around mine and I hold her. She tucks her beak under my chin and we nap. SHE IS WONDERFUL AND I LOVE HER. But I know the day will come when I am all moved in my new home and it will be time for her to have a duck friend, then I will lose her to her new companion. But I hope she never forgets how much I love her. :hit

I recommend getting her a girl-duck friend too. If you get her a boy, you would have to get 3 or 4 more girl ducks at that time. Otherwise she could get hurt (or worse) from the boy trying to mate her.

BUT when you do get her a friend, she'll still be your bud. Our oldest was our only duck for a couple months and she still comes running up to me when I go into the yard. She still loves her snuggles and "mommy and me time" too 😂

But I know the day will come when I am all moved in my new home and it will be time for her to have a duck friend, then I will lose her to her new companion. But I hope she never forgets how much I love her. :hit
You won't lose her D:
Bringing in another duck friend for her will just give you and her an extra friend! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom