what is eating my eggs?

pointerfarm1

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2014
Every couple of days i have an eaten egg. Has a hole the size of a nickel to quarter. Nothing remain except a dried membrane sometimes. Sometimes it is on the ground and sometimes it is in the box. It has only ever been just one egg. Is it one of my chickens eating it or something else, and what could it be? Also almost everyday i have a couple of eggs laying on the ground, not all are eaten. Are my hens knocking them out? Please help.

Last edited:
Are your birds in a secure coop/run? If so, that makes it more likely that it is an "inside job".
As to the eggs on the ground - how are your nest boxes configured? Is there an edge/lip on them to prevent roll out? It is possible they are coming out of the boxes, but it is also possible they are not being laid in the boxes to begin with.

The coop/run is secure enough so that somehing like a cat or fox or hawk cannot get in but big enough small creatures can get in. With the boxes we do have lips to keep them from falling off. the eggs are too far away for them to have fallen down. Would new layers lay on the ground? I have a couple that have just started laying. Maybe it is the pine shavings that i am using as bedding in box?

Last edited:
The coop/run is secure enough so that somehing like a cat or fox or hawk cannot get in but big enough small creatures can get in. With the boxes we do have lips to keep them from falling off. the eggs are too far away for them to have fallen down. Would new layers lay on the ground? I have a couple that have just started laying. Maybe it is the pine shavings that i am using as bedding in box?
Use some clean hay over the shavings. They should fashion a nest with it so you don't need to do it. Also put in a golf ball or a ceramic egg in one of the boxes. It encourages them to lay where there is already an egg. Put in more than you think you need as they will pack it down into the shape of a traditional nest. You may have an egg eater or a rat eating eggs. Maybe even a squirrel. Does it happen during night time or during the day? If day, you can almost rule out the rat. Where are you at? You could have any number of suspects.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom