What is everyone’s pecking orders rules?

Yes, but why don’t the pairs fight? The first pair (Lyd and Rose) is in a very small coop until their bigger house is finished, and they still get along just fine.
Depends on the chickens personality! It seems to go unnoticed a lot of the time but just like how in humans there are some people who just don’t like a different one or there are some people who are mean to other people- it’s the same with chickens, it all depends! Sounds like you got a couple of buddies to me

Neither of my chickens have ever actually pecked one another as far as I can tell. I can't really figure out their hierarchy. On one hand, the Delaware hen always takes the highest roost. On the other, my RIR always gets all of the treats, and the Delaware never stops her.

Neither of my chickens have ever actually pecked one another as far as I can tell. I can't really figure out their hierarchy. On one hand, the Delaware hen always takes the highest roost. On the other, my RIR always gets all of the treats, and the Delaware never stops her.
Exact opposite of my Delaware :)!

I have a bossy polish at the top she is nice to the younger pullets. However my rescue cinnamon queen (1.5 yr) is third in the order. She bothers the babies(16weeks) when she is bored. Never goes beyond her chasing them and getting tired. All the 16 week old ones are pretty mellow and share everything. My OE does still the older and younger girls treats right out their mouths. She’ll get a plucked feather or two when she does that.

I have about three different groups with different hierarchies I have my seven laying hens my top hen is the top hen of the whole flock including her little group. Then we have chick group A with my EE cockerel the boss then his three pullets. And last is chick group B my two mixes I got from a friend who will sometimes run around with group A.

I know this is a bit old but thought I would chime in. I have eight hens and they are all super sweet to each other! Every once in awhile I'll see some rear up and "contend" but then one backs down. My head hen is actually super docile and the easiest to catch. She is the one who even from 8 weeks would always want to be up high so she will fly up to higher spots and she also is the "lone" one who is the lookout at times.
Then I have the bottom hen who interestingly is also a black Maran like my top. She is always the last one to eat, leave the coop in the morning, join the rest of the flock etc. Both of these are our family favorites as the top is docile and beautiful and the bottom is clucky. They all seem so happy; I never see a lot of agression so I guess I'm doing something right!

Pictures just because. Becky the top hen has the copper and Sauron the bottom hen is solid black.

Attachments

• PXL_20231022_215513117.jpg
    PXL_20231022_215513117.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom