What is getting my chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ma1Kidz6, May 31, 2010.

1. Ma1Kidz6

Ma1Kidz6 New Egg

May 31, 2010
    I've had three chickens disappear this past week. All I find is piles of feathers. This is happening during the day. What could it be?

2. silkiesandbuffs

silkiesandbuffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Weatherford, Texas
    What are they being housed in or were they free ranging? Are they chicks or adults? My silkie rooster was killed a couple months ago while the chickens were free ranging. I believe that a coyote got him because I had seen one hanging around a couple of days before it happened. All that was left of him was a pile of feathers and it was in broad day light at like 3 P.M.

3. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

When coyotes have gotten my chickens while free ranging they run off with the body, but when a fox got my duck it left a pile of feathers, a beak and the legs! I have also lost most of my chickens to a bob cat that went over the chicken yard fence and even the electric wire on top didn't stop it!![​IMG] They also run off with the live chicken and eat it elsewhere. Now I have to be ouside with my chickens when I let them out to free range because the varmits come all hours of the day!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by