What is going on? I'm worried.

Quote:
Hi elmo,
There is no heat lamp in the coop. Only a 60 watt bulb which I have on a dimmer switch. I turn it down to the lowest setting at night so there is only a tiny bit of light. Just barely enough for them to see if something should spook them in the middle of the night.
These birds get a half a cup of scratch once a day. Layer feed available all day, and a quick treat when I get home. When I give them a treat, they take a few bites and then they are done. They don't gorge themselves like perhaps a dog would. When they have had their few bites, I remove the dish from them.
Could Laverne have been panting from distress?
Yes, there were only 3 birds....Two now.
None of them were laying when I got them. I'm sure the amount of daylight and the drastic change in their lives had an impact in that regard. I had not expected any laying from them for a long time. Shirley has now laid an egg for 5 days in a row. I think Roxy will too, when she is done growing her feathers back. Roxy seems normal, active, and happy, yet she is sleeping in the nesting box tonight again. She had her place on the roost right between Shirley and Laverne and now that Laverne is gone, she is not interested in being on the roost any more. I have not kicked her out of the nexting box because the last time I did that, the bird ( Laverne ) did not make it through the night. I don't know what I should do about it.

Back
Top Bottom