What is going on with my chickens?

Loverofallemo

Chirping
Aug 4, 2021
To tie in the two different places I've kinda asked this already and because I was asked to start my own thread (which yes @Wyorp Rock I should have done to begin with)...

One of my chickens, Cannonball, last Tuesday afternoon (Aug 3rd) started making weird noises: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bhjT6JK8iYcREiyi7 she wasnt making them before last Tuesday, she doesn't seem to be acting weird, still eating and drinking, interacting with the other hens. None of the other hens where making a weird sound.

So now yesterday, I went out to check for eggs and check on Cannonball, and now two more are sounding weird. Here is Orpy: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VDpgVdrMzhmRGpjz8 TB (my Barred Rock) also is starting to make a weird noise.

Now Cannonball today has gone from just the noise to what looks to me like gape-ing from other videos I've watched. You can hear Orpy at the beginning and then Cannonball starts opening mouth a lot and then finally gets a sound out at like 45 seconds in: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HWVkQ2MNYCuzGohN6

It has been really smoking the past week, so is this just a respiratory thing or is this gapeworm or something else? They are all still acting normal, walking around interacting with each other, ran for food this morning when I let them out. My parents are on vacation and the one vet who will look at chickens is booked till the end of the month, so I'm wondering what I can do for them now.

To tie in the two different places I've kinda asked this already and because I was asked to start my own thread (which yes @Wyorp Rock I should have done to begin with)...

One of my chickens, Cannonball, last Tuesday afternoon (Aug 3rd) started making weird noises: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bhjT6JK8iYcREiyi7 she wasnt making them before last Tuesday, she doesn't seem to be acting weird, still eating and drinking, interacting with the other hens. None of the other hens where making a weird sound.

So now yesterday, I went out to check for eggs and check on Cannonball, and now two more are sounding weird. Here is Orpy: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VDpgVdrMzhmRGpjz8 TB (my Barred Rock) also is starting to make a weird noise.

Now Cannonball today has gone from just the noise to what looks to me like gape-ing from other videos I've watched. You can hear Orpy at the beginning and then Cannonball starts opening mouth a lot and then finally gets a sound out at like 45 seconds in: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HWVkQ2MNYCuzGohN6

It has been really smoking the past week, so is this just a respiratory thing or is this gapeworm or something else? They are all still acting normal, walking around interacting with each other, ran for food this morning when I let them out. My parents are on vacation and the one vet who will look at chickens is booked till the end of the month, so I'm wondering what I can do for them now.
Yeah, I'd treat them all for gapeworms with this: safeguard-paste. Just give them a pea-sized amount on a piece of food for temptation.

It has been really smoking the past week, so is this just a respiratory thing or is this gapeworm or something else?

Yeah, I'd treat them all for gapeworms with this: safeguard-paste. Just give them a pea-sized amount on a piece of food for temptation.
Read the post that I made in reply to you on that other thread. It's not gapeworm. That is a sneeze. You have a lot of smoke in your area - this can cause some respiratory symptoms. Monitor them. If it gets worse, then I suggest you move the chickens to an area for a few days that has better air quality. . https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-buff-orpington-can’t-close-her-beak.1486519/post-24787413

@Blue Raptor I must address this once again it seems - doesn't seem like you read replies to you or you just don't care what you are saying, maybe you can answer that one, I don't know. Please. If you are going to suggest medications, then give the CORRECT DOSE. "PEA SIZE" is not a dose, it's not going to treat worms. Seriously.
Gapeworm is relatively rare in the US, but if one were to need to treat Gapeworm, then the correct dose is needed. To treat Gapeworm, Fenbendazole (Safeguard) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days. The meds are syringed directly into the beak.

Gapeworm symptoms would be continuous GAPING - having difficulty breathing, the bird is unable to eat/drink, they stand around and try to breath and sometimes cough violently trying to clear their airway because worms are clogging their airway causing to suffocate. A sneeze if NOT GAPEWORM. I'm not sure how much clearer that can be.

Read the post that I made in reply to you on that other thread. It's not gapeworm. That is a sneeze. You have a lot of smoke in your area - this can cause some respiratory symptoms. Monitor them. If it gets worse, then I suggest you move the chickens to an area for a few days that has better air quality. . https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-buff-orpington-can’t-close-her-beak.1486519/post-24787413

@Blue Raptor I must address this once again it seems - doesn't seem like you read replies to you or you just don't care what you are saying, maybe you can answer that one, I don't know. Please. If you are going to suggest medications, then give the CORRECT DOSE. "PEA SIZE" is not a dose, it's not going to treat worms. Seriously.
Gapeworm is relatively rare in the US, but if one were to need to treat Gapeworm, then the correct dose is needed. To treat Gapeworm, Fenbendazole (Safeguard) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days. The meds are syringed directly into the beak.

Gapeworm symptoms would be continuous GAPING - having difficulty breathing, the bird is unable to eat/drink, they stand around and try to breath and sometimes cough violently trying to clear their airway because worms are clogging their airway causing to suffocate. A sneeze if NOT GAPEWORM. I'm not sure how much clearer that can be.
Facts. I try to reply to people, sometimes I just don’t see them. Thank you for offering your help.

I did read the post reply on the other thread, that's why I started this one cause you asked for pictures or video and to start my own thread:)

I've been monitoring them and if you watch the last video I attached below of Cannonball this morning, my question then is that not her gape-ing? She now today looks like other videos of chickens with gapeworm so that's why I'm thinking gapeworm. Again, I could of course be wrong. And yep, I did see your reply on that other thread about the correct dosage for chickens and I have already figured that all out in case I needed it:)

You cannot rage at someone and then expect them to accept your help.
I did read the post reply on the other thread, that's why I started this one cause you asked for pictures or video and to start my own thread:)

I've been monitoring them and if you watch the last video I attached below of Cannonball this morning, my question then is that not her gape-ing? She now today looks like other videos of chickens with gapeworm so that's why I'm thinking gapeworm. Again, I could of course be wrong. And yep, I did see your reply on that other thread about the correct dosage for chickens and I have already figured that all out in case I needed it:)
I’m glad you have it all figured out and I hope your chickens pull through! I’m sorry that we make your thread angry with our comments. :mad::oops:
Also, I love Cannonball, she is really pretty! Hope she pulls through! :fl💕

You cannot rage at someone and then expect them to accept your
Facts. I try to reply to people, sometimes I just don’t see them. Thank you for offering your help.
FACT. I try to help to, but I try very hard to give accurate info. If I find out I'm wrong, then I make corrections. I constantly learn and study this stuff.
No rage. How do you even consider it rage if someone asks you to give the correct info. I've asked you several times. You continue, so you got called out. Fact Man.

@Loverofallemo is you think it's gapeworm, then treat them. You have all the info you need to give the correct treatment.

You cannot rage at someone and then expect them to accept your help.

I’m glad you have it all figured out and I hope your chickens pull through! I’m sorry that we make your thread angry with our comments. :mad::oops:
Also, I love Cannonball, she is really pretty! Hope she pulls through! :fl💕
No worries, I was thinking it was just cause of the smoke and so was just monitoring them like Wyorp Rock said to do. This morning though it looked like Cannonball was gape-ing, so figured I'd get video and make my own thread and see what others thought:D

Back
Top Bottom