What is going on with my girls?

PaulOlson68

Chirping
Jun 19, 2022
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
So I have noticed that the tail end of a few of my hens looks like they are losing their feathers and the spots seem to be getting bigger. Also one has this issue around her neck and I am concerned that it might be hen pecking or mites. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_7729.jpg
    IMG_7729.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_7793.jpg
    IMG_7793.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8077.jpg
    IMG_8077.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 4
I'd treat for mites and move to a higher protein feed if possible.
Completely clean out the coop, treat with a permethrine bases product and get all new bedding and litter.
You can also dust your hens.
Thanks for this. I clean out the pen monthly and thoroughly too. They have lots of dust baths in the run as they made holes and are in them all the time. I was wondering if it is a diet thing or pecking from other hens

Thanks for this. I clean out the pen monthly and thoroughly too. They have lots of dust baths in the run as they made holes and are in them all the time. I was wondering if it is a diet thing or pecking from other hens
Dust bathes don't really prevent mites.
It could be diet or hens that are bored or aggressive from tight quarters. Or they're just jerks

Oh interesting...I am doing 17% layer feed...what protein amount would you suggest?
If they were mine, I'd do with a turkey/pheasant starter or a meat bird/broiler crumble. Both should be mid 20's on the protein. It will depend on the brand.

Make sure to offer oyster shells and grit (if they don't have access to good grit naturally) as well.

Game bird is going to be around 30%, and that will probably be too much.

Back
Top Bottom