What is going on with this egg?

primatologica

Chirping
Apr 14, 2021
My flock of six is acting normal, though I did clean up some slightly runnier than normal yellowish poop in the coop this morning. A couple ladies had some yellowish poop on their butt feathers, but nothing alarming.

This afternoon, I retrieved this egg from a nest box. It looks like there are a lot of calcium deposits near the hole. The egg doesn't appear to be pecked open--instead it looks like it didn't properly close. There was a single yolk inside when I cracked it, and then whatever that mucusy ropelike thing is.

They eat feed for laying chickens that has 16 percent calcium (have been on this since they started laying in September). I did recently switch them from Manna Pro oyster shells to flaked shells (they were uninterested in the larger chunks, and I'd gotten two soft eggs). Thoughts on what's going on?? Everyone's vents look ok and everyone is acting normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_130939364_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211030_130939364_HDR.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20211030_131347910_MP.jpg
    IMG_20211030_131347910_MP.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211030_131200468.jpg
    IMG_20211030_131200468.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20211030_130958006_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211030_130958006_HDR.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 12
though I did clean up some slightly runnier than normal yellowish poop in the coop this morning. A couple ladies had some yellowish poop on their butt feathers, but nothing alarming.
That's not a good sign, was it yellow like egg yolk or ?
Pics might help.

Hard to say what the deal is with that egg.
Definitely not properly shelled, and the inclusion could be a piece of tissue from the reproductive tract. Could be disease or a glitch.

I was really hoping you would have some answers by now! I have only had one egg that was weird like this on the inside (outside was normal) and I didn't see it-my sister described it to me after she cracked it into a hot pan. She sent a picture but it was hard to tell what it looked like raw because it had been partially cooked but she said it looked like it had been fertilized and started to grow which is what I am wondering if this is. Do you have a rooster?
I have read that higher calcium/lower feed isn't good for them unless their high production breeds in their prime but not sure if that explains this egg.

My opinion is no big deal. The egg, I mean. My opinion is a big deal.

It would be helpful if you would mention the age of your laying fleet. My guess is this is related to fall molt/winter laying recess. Egg quality takes a hit sometimes during this period.

I have a hen that molts only every other year. Yeah, she's weird. She's showing no signs of molt, yet she laid an egg with a shell that didn't close up on the end last week. I figured the short days are affecting her calcium absorption since the hens do get vitamin D from the sun.

I gave her a calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D two days in a row, and her eggs are again coming out normal. That's what I suggest you do. If you don't know which of your hens laid the egg, no harm in popping a calcium tablet into each beak.

Last edited by a moderator:
What exact feed are you feeding?
You say 16 % calcium but that can't be.

I think the OP posted in 2 different categories, Egg Laying and in the Emergency Forum, both ending up here, so that is why there are 2 threads about the same chicken. I would try to get some smaller or a different brand of crushed oyster shell. My chickens always ate the crushed egg shells better, but sometimes the oyster shell was too large. Salpingitis, an inflammation of the oviduct, can be responsible for some strange eggs in chickens. Exposure to infectious bronchitis virus in the past can be another reason for egg shell problems and weird eggs. Hopefully, some extra calcium for a few days along with some time, the eggs shells will become normal again.

Yup, I misspoke--it's 16% protein. Sorry about my brain fart!
The girls were all born in April. No roosters. I'm relatively certain it's my Easter Egger who laid this.
Today there was a soft-shelled egg. Everyone is still acting normally, so I'm hoping this is just my Easter Egger figuring out laying (she started laying two weeks ago).
Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom