What is going on?

Dockit123

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2015
Hi
Hoping you can give us some insight. We have 10 back yard chickens(Buff Orpintons) raised for chicks form the local Southern States. Now mature and have been laying for several months. No rooster. Life style is pretty much free range and they coup themselves up and we close them in for the night. Now, for the past 2 weeks or so, we have one chicken that has been sleeping in the hay shed on a bail of hay. We even have to chase her out during the day. No eggs seen. At first we thought she might be egg bound, but after several exams could not feel anything. It also seams to us that if she was bound or otherwise sick she would probably be dead by now. When we do chase her out she will puff up at first but after that she seams to act normal. Could she be nesting? And confused? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kit

She could be acting unusual because she is starting to molt. Are there loose feathers in the barn or can you see any bare spots on her chest.

She's a Buff Orp, and it sounds like she could be broody. They don't need eggs underneath to set up business in a quiet corner. I've had many hens "air hatch."

It is very typical for a broody hen to fluff and puff when disturbed off her chosen nest, to only go right back to it first chance she gets.

I've also had them brood all times of year. (I've got a Rhodebar on the nest now "air brooding")

Since it is cooler weather, she may not be entering into the deep brood phase yet and remaining in the pre-phase, which would fit her behavior perfectly....they'll be on/off, cranky, puffy, fickle, and generally a hormonal temperamental thing.

LofMc

Last edited:
Hey there
Thanks for your fast replies. I read up on molting, learned a lot, but in our case not many feathers or bald spots. Also, sorry not to mention previously, these guys are spring chickens so they are about 7 months old. Well beyond the juvenile molt and too young for the annual molt. Never thought i would know so much about chickens molting!!!!! Also, learned a lot about brooding. Things like it's not called "nesting"
smile.png
This sounds most probable considering everything, age, behavior and chicken condition. 'Air hatching' Now that's funny. All we need now is a rooster. Thanks again!
Kit

Agrees with pre-broody...probably too young to molt.

She could be ill too tho......or low hen hiding from abusers.

Back
Top Bottom