What is going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deafjeff, Dec 31, 2010.

1. deafjeff

deafjeff New Egg

Oct 24, 2010
    We have 3 Rhode Islands, 3 Black Australorps, and 2 Bantams= 8 hens. We were getting 6 or 7 eggs a day but lately it has dropped to 3 which I read on here was normal when the hours of daylight dropped below 14 hours per day. Averaging 3 eggs per day for several weeks now. We collect a couple of times a day since they are free ranging during the day and all like to lay in a spot we fixed for them under the carport. They go in a coup at night. Yesterday we got the usual 3 from the carport but when I put them up I found 7 more on the floor of the coup that I know were not there when I let them out yesterday morning. 10 eggs in one day from 8 hens. Not complaining, just curious as to what is happening...

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If they're free ranging they may be laying other places, too. Mine will lay in a specific spot for several weeks, then change to somewhere else. Every day's an egg hunt! As for having more eggs than hens, can't help ya there. Just lucky, I guess?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by