What is going on?!?!?! :(

ChucktheChick

Songster
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
The coop
I had 9eggs in the bator. They were developing great until day 21! I had four hatch, witch I am VERY happy about, but 2 pipped and died, then the other three were moving in the egg until hatch day and died! I was sooo upset! My bator is very clean. My humidity during lockdown was 55-60% like usual, but they just die! I have the temp around 98-99. I have been doing this for at least 5 years now, have never had this happen! Any ideas?

Did you candle them during lockdown to determine they were still moving? If so, the opening of the incubator would most likely be your problem. The pipped eggs that died were probably the result of lost humidity when opening the bator. Also, if you did candle them on the last days, when you move them around this confuses the chick inside which is already orientated to start his escape. This repositioning can be deadly if the chick cannot readjust and find the air sac. (This also happens from hatched chicks rolling eggs around).

I always try to get my humidity up to 90% + on lockdown and never open from day 18-21 (unless emergency). That's me though. Everyone is a little different and geographical location affects hatching styles too. Also, as chicks start hatching and drying the humidity will drop.

From my experiences, these are my educated guesses. I've had 4 incubators running non-stop for over 2 years now and everytime I think I've got it figured out, I get another curve ball, lol. I hope I helped and Good Luck!

Thank you for the reply. I only opened the bator to get 2 dry chicks out. The chicks were really knocking them around, so I am thinking that's what happened. Thanks! You helped me summon out my problems, witch I am very great full for. I will come back to this when I have problems again.

Back
Top Bottom