What is Hank? EE or Ameraucana?

BigBirdJano

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 29, 2014
Minnesota
I adopted Hank from a friend of a friend who runs a CO-OP He claims he is an Ameraucana. Since he came from a Hatchery (I am assuming) The possibility he is an pure Ameraucana is probably slim and none, but I just wanted to see what other peoples opinions are. Either way I think he is very good looking. Also, what would his coloration be considered. Duckwing? I know there are plenty of resources to find all this out, I just don't have the time to take to weed through it all. So Thank You in advance!

That's what I figured he bought it from a hatchery and they don't have a hatchery that sells "real" Ameraucanas. I am alright with the EE's they should lay pretty eggs![/quote]

Just thought I'd let you know that there are now a couple hatcheries that do sell true Amaracanas. I do know that Myers Hatchery is one!:)

Last edited:
That's what I figured he bought it from a hatchery and they don't have a hatchery that sells "real" Ameraucanas. I am alright with the EE's they should lay pretty eggs!

Just thought I'd let you know that there are now a couple hatcheries that do sell true Amaracanas. I do know that Myers Hatchery is one!
smile.png
[/QUOTE]

You're right. Meyer Hatchery sells Blue Ameraucanas, which are a true breed, not hybrids like Easter Eggers.

Easter egger. Don't be upset with your friend, he likely purchased the bird as an Ameraucana and would have no reason to think otherwise.

Easter egger. Don't be upset with your friend, he likely purchased the bird as an Ameraucana and would have no reason to think otherwise. 

That's what I figured he bought it from a hatchery and they don't have a hatchery that sells "real" Ameraucanas. I am alright with the EE's they should lay pretty eggs!

There's definitely nothing wrong with Easter Eggers. They generally outlay their Ameraucana parents and they are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves the different colored eggs that they lay.

Back
Top Bottom