What is happening!? Cockerels everywhere?

I had a chicken 4-her tell me of a way to sex chickens: hold them upside down by their feet (gently!). If they try to right themselves immediately, they are female. Males just stay inverted.

It worked for me, but.......I don't raise enough birds to really check it out. Has anyone else heard of this or is it an old farmer's tale?
I never heard of that, think I will try that on some sex links I hatched out and see if this is true. I tried to learn how to vent sex with day old sex links too but found out that my vision isn't good enough to tell the difference.
I know I know, I don't need to tell sex links apart... I use them to test theories or learn to the tell the difference in other ways. That way I can know right away if a theory works.

You're just going to end up getting pooped on.;)
I never heard of that, think I will try that on some sex links I hatched out and see if this is true. I tried to learn how to vent sex with day old sex links too but found out that my vision isn't good enough to tell the difference.
I know I know, I don't need to tell sex links apart... I use them to test theories or learn to the tell the difference in other ways. That way I can know right away if a theory works.

I had a chicken 4-her tell me of a way to sex chickens: hold them upside down by their feet (gently!). If they try to right themselves immediately, they are female. Males just stay inverted.

It worked for me, but.......I don't raise enough birds to really check it out. Has anyone else heard of this or is it an old farmer's tale?
I hold my hen upside down sometimes, She doesn’t really do anything.

Back
Top Bottom