What is happening in my flock???????????

I feel your pain!. One 1 Americauana has gone thru the same thing. She was fine at first, made it clear she wasnt to be bullied and all was good. Then she layed her first egg, and all rules were off. They bloodied her butt good. I removed her for a few day and healing time, let her out and the same thing. She hasnt layed an egg since. I then,(dont laugh to hard) got an apron for her, and attached a 2 inch strip of cloth from the wing tips to cover her bare butt. They no longer mess with her. She hasnt layed yet either, but think it will happen. Just as a precaution, I wormed, dusted for mites and lice, added vitamins and electrolytes to the water. You might try these options, and hopefully it will help you too. I wish you the best in this. I know its a bear when you cant stop it. Lets hope its not something in our Bama air goin on,LOL.

The two BRs are 2years old and the two Buffs are 1year on the 21 April.

All are in very good health and laying, no signs of any parasites.

I don't know what to do because I can only have one flock, so I am not able to seperate them.

They gets loads of greens from the garden as well as sprouted lentils and BOSS for treats, so I don't think they can be bored?

I have even added another nesting box in case there is competion for the communal one I have that can accomodate at least two hens ( they could probably all pile in there - there is enough room).

I'll try adding some vitamins/ electrolytes to their water and see if that helps.

Any all all suggestions are very welcome.

I wonder if it might be a space thing. I have a huge run where two hens have
had to themselves for a few months. Yesterday I added 4 chicks barely old enough
to be on their own. The boss hen harries them a little bit, just enough they are not
getting hurt but have figured out to stay away from her prime feeding area. The picked on hen may have
challenged your hen over leadership rights and now can't get far enough away to mullify
her anger. The other hen and chicks are not strong enough to be a serious threat and they
respect her authority so all is well but without room they currently have I would not have
introduced those chicks.

Thanks for your thoughts. I did let them out of their run this morning a bit hoping that might help relieve the tension, but I have to supervise them because we have had a hawk around that flew onto the wire of their run so I have to be very careful.

I will let them out at little bit each day to see if that helps, thanks again for the suggestion.

I'm babysitting loose chickens today too. My lovely puppy in the avatar rough housed
with a hen the other day. He is supposed to be my guard dog for the chickens, but
is a little too playful right now.

Quote:
You may be right. Do you know why this happens?

I spend a lot of time yesterday observing them while they were out and also in the run. I have been watching them closely and they seems to be fighing over the communal nesting box. I have made another nesting box but none of them have ventured in it. Any ideas on how to get them to lay there? I have got a fake egg in it.

Back
Top Bottom