What is happening?!?!

I’ve always been afraid to do that while some are in the midst of a hatching, but @MGG has made me see the error of my ways!
it's pretty safe! Just be careful that none of the eggs get knocked out or anything! If you see any large patches of membrane looking dry, a little drop of coconut on will help-but opening the incubator for a couple moments to take out hatchlings should be fine! Sometimes its better to do that even if others are pipping!

Hey! So I’ve never had this issue either… One of the ducklings does not seem to be able to stand up for a walk. What could cause this?

I’ve always been afraid to do that while some are in the midst of a hatching, but @MGG has made me see the error of my ways!
Hatching is a learning curve! It just takes practice. I'm so happy your babies are doing well! I'll reply to these quotes anyways.
How long ago did they externally pip?
Ducks take their time! It's normal for them to take up to, or sometimes over, 24 hours from external pip to zip. I wouldn't worry yet
That's only chicken chicks. Ducks can safely take up to 36-48 hours from external pip to zip. Even longer sometimes. It just depends on the individual bird.
OK. So it’s been more than 48 hours since she pipped and this is currently what it looks like. Should I go in for the assist? I was sure when I went to bed last night I would wake up to her being here.View attachment 3051700
At that point, it is safe to finish the zip. Once they start zipping, they shouldn't stall out for more than half an hour. If they do, you need to finish the zip carefully for them. If you see any blood, stop, wait twenty minutes, then try again.

That's only chicken chicks. Ducks can safely take up to 36-48 hours from external pip to zip. Even longer sometimes. It just depends on the individual bird.
I know! That's why I said they can take over- One of my ducklings took over two days- and one was much faster, she zipped in just over an hour, 20 or so hours after external pip!
It depends on the individual, but waterfowl are known for being very slow.

How are her legs? Can you take a photo? Some do take longer to get their legs under them
She’s getting around. I think it may be the one who hatched on the wrong end. I assisted a hatch this morning that couldn’t make it out of the wrong end. She’s doing fine! Is there a reason that at least two pipped the wrong end this hatch?

**UPDATE**

18 eggs went into the incubator to be the most stressful hatch I’ve done. I bought a dozen eggs and the lady I deal with gave me 6 extra ( since only about 75% are fertile). When the time came for hatching, I stressed over so much thinking I’d blown the whole thing and I’d be lucky to get any ducklings 18 eggs went in.

And…..

17 ducklings came out 😳

3 ended up being assisted hatches after all. Super scary on the one that only had a pip and no signs of zipping. But I just knew if I didn’t do something she would die in there. She’s the last one and is warming and drying in the incubator while her SIXTEEN siblings are frolicking around in the brooder. This is by far the most ducks I’ve had and I’m thinking I’m gonna have to split them into separate brooders! Oh the smell that’s coming soon lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 1
**UPDATE**

18 eggs went into the incubator to be the most stressful hatch I’ve done. I bought a dozen eggs and the lady I deal with gave me 6 extra ( since only about 75% are fertile). When the time came for hatching, I stressed over so much thinking I’d blown the whole thing and I’d be lucky to get any ducklings 18 eggs went in.

And…..

17 ducklings came out 😳

3 ended up being assisted hatches after all. Super scary on the one that only had a pip and no signs of zipping. But I just knew if I didn’t do something she would die in there. She’s the last one and is warming and drying in the incubator while her SIXTEEN siblings are frolicking around in the brooder. This is by far the most ducks I’ve had and I’m thinking I’m gonna have to split them into separate brooders! Oh the smell that’s coming soon lol
awww! Congrats on your hatches!!! Those lil fluff balls are just adorable!
What of the remaining egg, did that one pass before hatch, or are you still waiting?

**UPDATE**

And…..

17 ducklings came out 😳

Congratulations!!! That's great!

Back
Top Bottom