1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT IS HE DOING???!!!!????!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Southern28Chick, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have 23 9 week old pullets and a 1 year old roo. I have them separated until the girls reach maturity but they can still get to each other if they stick their heads through. Well, this has happened twice now (that I have seen). The Colonel (the roo) will call the girls over to the fence with a treat. Once someone sticks their head in he grabs her by the back of the neck and she screams bloody murder.

This second time he took out about 6 feathers and there was a bit of blood involved. Is he trying to mate? Is he hurting them? How do I make him stop?

Thanks!!!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's how the rooster subdues his women, by grabbing the feathers on the back of the head. A couple of my poor ladies are practically bald now! He's just being normal. I know it looks brutal, but that's the way of chickens. He doesn't understand that they're too young, I guess. Maybe a barrier of some kind would help. If not, maybe they'll get that he is up to no good.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by