What is he doing????????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dandydoodle, Jul 20, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    We just got a new rooster yesterday. Well I let him go in with the girls today. He keeps getting right next to them and doing something that looks like he is dancing. Does anyone know what he is doing????[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Sounds like he is strutting his stuff. Our roos do that also. I think it is just a show off kind of thing.....

3. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Hahaha that's probably the one wing dance. That's his way of keeping them under control and letting them know that he is in charge... Often if the hens stray too far away, the rooster will run over, do the dance and then chance them back to the flock. It's pretty neat.

4. wrldlygrrl

wrldlygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Decatur, GA
    Silent rooster speak for "new boss in town"!

5. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    What do you mean by silent rooster??? I am sure he is the new boss. I can't believe how much my Orpington girls like him. They are making it very obvious. I had to get rid of the roo we had because, he started flogging. The hens never liked him like they like this new roo. [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Well if he is strutting that is good. I guess that means he likes them. [​IMG] I think he is doing a one wing dance. He is straightening out the wing closest to the hen and dances towards them. Is that the one wing dance. So that is what they do to keep the hens where he wants them to be? Thanks for the help. Our other roo didn't do this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by