1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Big Cat, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    I bought 6 chicks from Southern States on March 25th. I was told when I got them they were RIR crossed with White Rock? I was suprised when my rooster turned out white. What breed do you think he is? Also can you confirm the Hens breed?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By the way he is a jerk too. I do not like this bird!

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

The RIR x White Rock pairing resulted in Red Sexlinks. The females are red with a few white feathers, and the males are white, with a few red feathers. And the ornery gene probably came from the RIR side.

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Oh, and [​IMG] !!!!

4. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Unless i am mistaken, that cross is a sex link called a golden comet & you can tell the sexes apart by color at hatching. This is the reason that your male is a different color to your hens. It only works with the first generation though so your chicks wont be color sexable but your hens & future stock will be great layers!

5. Big Cat

Big Cat New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    The hens seem friendly yet skidish but he is such a jerk I was thinking I shouldnt let these hatch any. I was considering next year trying a different breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by