What is her deal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nbd3um1, Jul 22, 2013.

1. nbd3um1

nbd3um1 In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    We are new to chickens and have our first flock of 6. 4 RIR's and 2 Americanas (one the Americanas is a rooster.)

We have had them all since they where couple days old, not had any problems that have stood out to us. One of our reds is suddenly always trying to escape, or will sit on top the coup refusing to be with the flock. When she jumps down she is alone or trying to get away from everyone. If we go into the pen (10'X10'X6') she is jumping up on our shoulders. I have not seen anyone attack her and have found no injuries.

We did just get our first 2 eggs the past two days (nothing yet today) and her behavior has been like this for about a week. I have no idea who is laying (but do wish she would lay in the nest box and not the floor.)

Today I have been studying them for a while and two things I have noticed 1.) she is the smallest of the reds 2.) some of the other reds have little black spots, like 2-3 small specks on their combs.

Any ideas? What should I do?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. crested1990

crested1990 In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    May be the under-dog, but hens will go nuts sometimes when they are laying and want to hide their eggs or have their own laying spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by