WHAT IS IN MY HENS POOP????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calichicken, Aug 9, 2014.

1. calichicken

calichicken Chillin' With My Peeps

HELP! My hen is pooping out this![​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    She has been broody and lost her lone chick that hatched so I can not really go off of behavior to tell if she is sick. She ate a tiny bit of watermelon so is that it? She has been clicking her beak but otherwise seems ok for being a broody still trying to sit. Any help very much appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It may be shed intestinal lining, they do that occasionally. Here is a link to a lot of pictures of poop normal and abnormal http://chat.allotment-garden.org/?topic=17568.0 If she is acting OK for a broody otherwise, would think it is just that. If she is still broody, and you aren't going to get her more chicks/eggs, you might want to consider going ahead and breaking her of being broody since some hens will keep it up almost indefinitely.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like blood to me. If she were mine I would worm her with Safeguard or Valbazen and probably also treat for coccidiosis with Corid. Some people will say "it's just intestinal lining", and it might be, but I treat for worm and coccidiosis is I see more than one in any of my birds.

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  5. calichicken

can I treat of she is sitting on eggs? It isn't runny like blood but was wondering about worms since that seemed to be the consistency but she isn't acting sick.. Broody so hard to tell???

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2 Shed intestinal lining.

7. calichicken

thank you...checking it out Now

8. calichicken

9. calichicken

will this hurt her?

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do all of her poops look like that?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by